• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Rule Dependant Venues

I remember a Jens Pulver fight that was a real showcase of the weakness of not having a strong striking background. It was a 15 minute sprawl-n-brawl clinic.

Personally, I think it best to have at least a basic understanding of all ranges, then have a specialty later on. In early MMA, we did not see many high level TKD-type kickers doing well. Now we are starting to see it, difference is that now no one is completely ignorant of grappling and clinch ranges, so they are better able to dictate the range at which they fight.

Don't forget, the UFC is entertainment. Audiences tire of seeing guys just grappling on the ground. Don't for a minute think that the UFC or other MMA events are purely just fighter to fighter contests.

That may be, but for the most part, fighters want to win. And Pulver was a good boxer fighting someone who was a better grappler. He didn't want to grapple the guy.

What I am saying, is that you are going to see more stand up game in the near future, before if/they go to the ground. The show must change to keep the audience and it will, no matter the background of the fighters. At the end of the day, these guys are employees.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic