• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Type of Karateka are you?

Dobbersky

What level of fighting do you normally train at?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What level of fighting do you normally train at?

• Full Contact - Kyokushin, Ashihara, Enshin, Seidokaikan etc.
    • Full Contact - K1 style
    • Full Contact - No thigh Kicks
    • Semi Contact - Continuous
    • Semi Contact - Continuous No thigh kicks
    • Semi Contact - Points
    • Light/Non Contact - Continuous

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely light contact. Perhaps medium when I'm throwing to make them drop their guard but we definitely do not go 100%. During kumite, we simply don't throw with the hip. I'd say that's roughly 10-20% of full power. A bit trickier with kicks and those are usually the things that end up being medium contact but we always (or at least we're supposed to) throw for the abdomen when kicking to avoid injury even if someone catches a good kick. Attacks to the back are generally off-limits unless you're throwing with the flat of your foot. Shots to the face are allowed for black belts where contact is discouraged, but sometimes allowed as long as it was thrown with control (which it always should be). "As long as you're still standing, there should be no penalty".

Well, I put "semi-contact" since that's what we're supposed to do in competition, but usually the way my senpai train with me every night is more like full contact. :lol:

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

What drives me batty is whenever someone says to me while I'm teaching kumite..."Ease up", and I'm going as easy as I can; any easier I'd be barely moving...Sheech. And don't be a Godan or above and say that to me over and over because I'm just going to bulldoze right over you then, then, you can say that to me.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

What drives me batty is whenever someone says to me while I'm teaching kumite..."Ease up", and I'm going as easy as I can; any easier I'd be barely moving...Sheech. And don't be a Godan or above and say that to me over and over because I'm just going to bulldoze right over you then, then, you can say that to me.

How about when they're given you harder than you're giving out? Had it happen a couple of times in kumite and body conditioning. Never more than once with the same person though.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Kyokushin all the way!

Serously though, you rarely practice 100% on one another in dojo unless its under agreement or for gradings... otherwise its from 50-70% Good enough to give each other a wallop, but not too much to break ribs and smash jaws. We are there to train, not to kill one another!

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

How about when they're given you harder than you're giving out? Had it happen a couple of times in kumite and body conditioning. Never more than once with the same person though.

This is so familiar. Last month a female classmate of mine hurt her own forearm by blocking my punch WAY too hard, then proceeded to ask me to not resist her block so much ... ... ...

You know, I've spent most of my life getting called a wimp. So when I started training karate I made a promise to myself that regardless of how little or much progress I showed in it, I would never ask someone to "ease up." At least then I could sleep at night knowing I tried my best to rise to the challenge. Am I the only one who feels this way?

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

Kyokushin all the way!

Serously though, you rarely practice 100% on one another in dojo unless its under agreement or for gradings... otherwise its from 50-70% Good enough to give each other a wallop, but not too much to break ribs and smash jaws. We are there to train, not to kill one another!

SOLID POST!!!!

OSU!!!!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)