• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Type of Karateka are you?

Dobbersky

What level of fighting do you normally train at?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What level of fighting do you normally train at?

• Full Contact - Kyokushin, Ashihara, Enshin, Seidokaikan etc.
    • Full Contact - K1 style
    • Full Contact - No thigh Kicks
    • Semi Contact - Continuous
    • Semi Contact - Continuous No thigh kicks
    • Semi Contact - Points
    • Light/Non Contact - Continuous

I don't really understand the differences between all these.

UeshiroKarate-san

My appologies my friend for not making it clearer, consider this when sparring/competing when you give or receive techniques to/from you partner/opponent do you consider it as:

Full Contact is from 70% to 100% power on impact

Semi Contact is From 40% to 70% power on impact

Non/Light Contact is 40% and below power on impact if any

It might as many of us move between the varing levels depending on the partner/opponent or the level of the grade, age etc, I wouldn't expect an Adult to fight Full Contact with a 14 year old boy etc

OSU!!!

We would then be Non/light for the most part. Most of our style's sparring is Yakusoku and in some hits/situations it would be full.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And we work on a sliding scale depending on not just the person we're working with, but with what we're aiming for each night.

New guys it's always light contact, or if we're polishing up some movements. Semi-contact with more senior guys when we're pushing and then full contact, K1 as you list it, a couple of times a year or during promotions.

So, where do you vote then?

Protective gear usually comes down to MMA training gloves, mouth piece, groin protection regardless of contact level. Boxing gloves are for the newest guys until we can trust them not to try to kill each other, or us.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

And we work on a sliding scale depending on not just the person we're working with, but with what we're aiming for each night.

New guys it's always light contact, or if we're polishing up some movements. Semi-contact with more senior guys when we're pushing and then full contact, K1 as you list it, a couple of times a year or during promotions.

Protective gear usually comes down to MMA training gloves, mouth piece, groin protection regardless of contact level. Boxing gloves are for the newest guys until we can trust them not to try to kill each other, or us.

They say, the most dangerous person on the deck is a white belt. :wink:

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

I agree a white belt is the unknown entity, but the second most dangerous is a brown belt, got the skills of a black belt but just not taken the grading yet!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I voted Full Contact Ashihara as I am an Ashihara Karateka! Although for lower grades "they control the pace" if you understand what I mean. If they do light the higher grade goes light; if they go hard then the higher grade goes hard

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I agree a white belt is the unknown entity, but the second most dangerous is a brown belt, got the skills of a black belt but just not taken the grading yet!

:lol: This is also true!

I've found to a certain extent that a certain amount of oddness occurs just prior to any belt change. I see it now in BJJ, a blue knows he's pushing purple and he gets a little more committed to hitting things. A purple gets to the point where he knows he's a brown, he makes sure just a little bit more that others can see it. Ect.

I use to do Kyokushin full contact but recently moved to shotokan due to dojo location. Both styles are great but I do wish there was a little more contact in shotokan. I just competed and only the 18+ black belts were allowed full contact free sparing and it was very controlled.

They say, the most dangerous person on the deck is a white belt. :wink:

White belt guard: Cover your teeth, cover your groin, hope for the best.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

I voted Full Contact Ashihara as I am an Ashihara Karateka! Although for lower grades "they control the pace" if you understand what I mean. If they do light the higher grade goes light; if they go hard then the higher grade goes hard

It was more a rhetorical, but I figured you Dobbersky. It was more in reference to the sliding scale most sparring happens on.

And I agree, lower belt sets the contact. Or to keep it simple, you get what you give.