• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This weekend I was invited to compete in the OGC 26 brown belt 16 man invitational tournament. Basically, the OGC (ohio grappling challenge) puts on large tournaments all over Ohio. At each tournament they have a "main event" so to speak. I am going to be in that event.

I only compete a few times per year and was ill the entire month of Feburary (even spent a week in the hospital). This will also be my first competition as a brown belt...and it's an invitational with a cash prize.

Just thought I'd share my nervousness/anxiety. I'll let you guys know how I do once it's over. My bracket starts on Saturday at noon!

Wish me luck.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

We demand video of you in a victory pose! Congrats and good luck man.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Wow. I was totally outclassed at this tournament! We had a bellator champ, 2 pan am champs, and several very experienced competitors come from as far as Florida (tourney was in ohio).

I lost my first match in less than 5 minutes via bow and arrow choke.

On the bright side, I learned at least 10 things I need to work on. Thanks for the well wishes everyone.

Sorry that I hadn't wished you luck earlier, but I'd not be so hard on yourself, after all, you learned 10 things to work on. And while you didn't fair as well as you had hoped, I hope that you still had some fun.

Btw...what were the 10 things, if you don't mind sharing them with us, if not, I fully respect that.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Sorry that I hadn't wished you luck earlier, but I'd not be so hard on yourself, after all, you learned 10 things to work on. And while you didn't fair as well as you had hoped, I hope that you still had some fun.

Btw...what were the 10 things, if you don't mind sharing them with us, if not, I fully respect that.

I don't mind. Some of it is competition based.

For example, I'm not used to the long match lengths that are allowed in my division. So I tend to rush things to keep action moving when it's not necessary.

Another thing is simply being mentally prepared when the ref says go. There's little to no warm up time at these things. You basically go up cold.

Third, I have to learn to "let go." That is, don't over think things and just go for a the move immediately.

Working my weak side butterfly guard passes.

Working the reverse De Le Riva position, i turned and gave up an inside knee (knee cutter) pass. An alternative option is to work placing the hook inside and transitioning to x guard. (Will need to explore both options and see what I like best)

Move through the turtle more quickly and get back to guard. No pauses there.

Work on escaping the back more quickly. I tend to lay there with my students so they have a chance to train their moves. But this has clearly created a bad habit for me. I suspect the same is true of all my escapes. Because none of my students can beat me unless I let them, I need to slow down drastically to give them a chance. This is a common problem among BJJ instructors. I will rectify that.

Take downs need work...but that's not really new.

Some of the positions have multiple options and that makes up the rest of the list.

I will compete again in June at the NAGA tournament. So we'll see how things go at that point.

ps1,

Thank you for sharing the 10 things that you need to work on.

Each and everything you've listed is impressive, and I've no doubt at all that you will increase your BJJ betterment across the board, and in that, it'll make you both a better fighter and instructor.

Being honest with oneself is important, and you're absolutely honest with yourself and this started by recognizing the faults, and in that, these faults are only a temporary thing.

**Proof is on the floor!!!