• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

And sometimes it's just the "feel" of what you're trying. If judo tickles your fancy, you'll likely get more out of the training because you're enjoying yourself.

That said, I can definitely see where judo fits in for a knock down stylist. Grabbing a gi, or an arm/shoulder during a bout isn't such a bad thing under some rules sets(as I recall, been wrong before) and judo throws could just naturally fit in from there.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And sometimes it's just the "feel" of what you're trying. If judo tickles your fancy, you'll likely get more out of the training because you're enjoying yourself.

That said, I can definitely see where judo fits in for a knock down stylist. Grabbing a gi, or an arm/shoulder during a bout isn't such a bad thing under some rules sets(as I recall, been wrong before) and judo throws could just naturally fit in from there.

Nagamine was a Judoka.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

And apparently a talented one as well.

And so many today think that MMA is a new concept. :lol:

Aren't you truel a mixed martial artist if you train more than one style? I mean I the way I see it if I am training in a stand up style and a grappling style I'm a mixed martial artist. And before the blasting starts I will say that people have the ability to train in both stand up and grappling but not everyone who doe so can stream them together or mix them well enough to flow from one to the other and flow back.

I think mma as we view it today is more that just putting two arts together. It's about integration of the aspects of each that flow into a single workable format directed towards a specific goal with anything from either art that doesn't help achieve that goal discarded.

Sure, guys have been doing multiple arts for years. However; prior to the modern emergence of mma, you didn't see it very much or very well integrated. If you did, you'd have had a lot higher level of competition in early UFC's.

To say that mma has been done for years, I feel, really downplays the evolution that it's driven over the past decade or so.

I think mma as we view it today is more that just putting two arts together. It's about integration of the aspects of each that flow into a single workable format directed towards a specific goal with anything from either art that doesn't help achieve that goal discarded.

Sure, guys have been doing multiple arts for years. However; prior to the modern emergence of mma, you didn't see it very much or very well integrated. If you did, you'd have had a lot higher level of competition in early UFC's.

To say that mma has been done for years, I feel, really downplays the evolution that it's driven over the past decade or so.

You don't think that studying karate and judo together accomplish this?

Matsubayashi Ryu

It's a start.

But look at the training methods used by modern mma fighters and then traditional practitioners of both arts. You'll see a difference both in training and mindset. This is not a cut on either art, or their practitioners. But it's a very real difference. That's all.

This has, or can if the artist is open to it, drive a difference in the way martial artist train live.

It's a start.

But look at the training methods used by modern mma fighters and then traditional practitioners of both arts. You'll see a difference both in training and mindset. This is not a cut on either art, or their practitioners. But it's a very real difference. That's all.

This has, or can if the artist is open to it, drive a difference in the way martial artist train live.

Trust me, some martial artists of old trained day and night. It is all they did for decades straight. I have done a lot of research on the early years of my style in this country and know this for a fact. They pretty much did everything they knew how to do and while scientific training has advanced, many of the old ways of training have actually been brought BACK to the gym (sandbags are but one example.) Training and fighting is all these guys did and I have no doubt that some of them would be at the top of the heap in the UFC or other MMA competition. You may think things are very different today. They are not. Once again it comes back to the individual and their training.

Matsubayashi Ryu