• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

No, this isn't another which is better for fighting thread. I just want to say that I am really enjoying BJJ much more than when I took Judo years ago. Don't get me wrong, I loved Judo. However, the throws were really taking a beating on me all those years ago. They are invaluable to learn, but the place I trained focused a lot on the throws and we did many each class. I am now about twenty years older and very pleasantly surprised that BJJ focuses much more on ground work. Another good thing for me, is that we do some throws and sweeps in karate but almost no ground work. Seems that BJJ is the perfect fit for me to compliment my karate, especially at my age.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can agree with you completely on everything you said in your post. BJJ has been a great compliment to my karate as well. I never had the chance to practice Judo but thankfully my instructor trained in Judo and we have a 3rd Dan Judoka who trains in our school who will willing teach you anything you ask her. I have re worked my schools entire grappling program from the ground up. Mostly changing what we were taught to the correct form. As instructors in the past did not have the opportunity to train with grappling expects as I have. It's my way to learn another art and give back to my Dojo at the same time.

At your age? Any age. I don't mind the throws so much, but we've invested in good quality mats. Hitting the ground whether through judo style throws, a good double leg and lift, or a karate sweep is much better with a good mat.

BJJ is a good compliment to karate, or any stand up style in that it covers your holes. It's my reserve chute as it were. I haven't spent all these years learning to fight on my feet only to have a guy who played a bit of football in high school ten years back take me off my feet and take away all my hard earned skills.

And BJJ is a ton of fun. I get a blast out of being a student and focusing on learning when grappling. No stress, just relax and roll and work to hit a position or a movement.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

I think some Judo experience is invaluable to karateka, as the throwing and grappling techniques can give one some great insight into kata forums. We had good mats at the school I trained at. It still beat me up pretty good back then.

While it is great fun to roll, it is also very humbling to be a clueless white belt again too. :wink:

Matsubayashi Ryu

Welcome, again, to your new addiction. I agree, having spent some time informally getting smashed by some judo players while in college, that I'd far rather do BJJ than judo. I just don't need the ballistic trauma. Singles and doubles I can handle, repetitive hip tosses, not so much.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Welcome, again, to your new addiction. I agree, having spent some time informally getting smashed by some judo players while in college, that I'd far rather do BJJ than judo. I just don't need the ballistic trauma. Singles and doubles I can handle, repetitive hip tosses, not so much.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

So Strange but I find Judo better for me than BJJ, I like Aikido too but I can't get used to the "offering" of the hand and the open finger stance

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Just out of curiosity, Dobbersky what makes it a better fit? Just wondering.

I too have looked at Aikido and found that it didn't fit for what I wanted at the time for slightly different reasons, but it didn't suit me either. That's not to say it's not a great art, but it just didn't fit with the response patterns I'd been working.

Not to mention, for all the peach and harmony talk, getting all you wrists and small joints cranked repetitively isn't much fun.

From my view, Judo would be a better fit if your karate style doesn't spend time teaching throws. If I hadn't had some Judo experience before, I would certainly feel I was missing something with BJJ. At the end of the day they are really, really close to one another. To me, it is kind of like comparing Shorin Ryu to Shotokan.

Matsubayashi Ryu

Just out of curiosity, Dobbersky what makes it a better fit? Just wondering.

I too have looked at Aikido and found that it didn't fit for what I wanted at the time for slightly different reasons, but it didn't suit me either. That's not to say it's not a great art, but it just didn't fit with the response patterns I'd been working.

Not to mention, for all the peach and harmony talk, getting all you wrists and small joints cranked repetitively isn't much fun.

From my view, Judo would be a better fit if your karate style doesn't spend time teaching throws. If I hadn't had some Judo experience before, I would certainly feel I was missing something with BJJ. At the end of the day they are really, really close to one another. To me, it is kind of like comparing Shorin Ryu to Shotokan.

For me Judo just bolts on perfectly to my style, we already do Stand-up and quite a lot of "Aikido style" Throws we have 2 Nage Kata (although NIKO has 4)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFEU4_ZKfdE&feature=related

I'm ok on my back but would trust it in a street situation.but before you go to ground there's got to be some sort of stand-up first!

This to me is where Judo is better FOR ME, as its ticks the boxes that I have. If I wanted something else probably BJJ would then be a better match.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I can totally appreciate that line of reasoning. It so often gets overlooked that we should take into account what we already do when looking at another art to study in. Seeing how the pieces fit and looking at an overall response pattern is high level martial thought in my mind.