• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Preparing for kumite

kyokushin-kid

Hello. I'm new here, and this is my first post. I am a young kyokushin fighter.

My goal is to be better in kumite, and maybe compete in the end of this year.

I have bought a boxing bag to exercise at home, and that is why I have made this post. I am wondering how I can use the bag to train for kumite.

Is it any good techniques or combinations which is good to learn? Do anybody have any other tips for me to be a better fighter?

I am sure you are wondering why I do not ask people in my dojo.

That is because we train very little kumite, and it is just "old" people there.

But my brother has trained kyokushin, kickboxing and mma, so I can sparr with him to exercise.

I will be very glad for answers, especially if anybody have good combination with punches and kicks! :)

Since you all have higher rank than me: OSU!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ruh-roh, be prepared to be put in your place by the "old people" on here, ha ha ha. There are others who can advise you re: kumite training methods, but I'm sure many of us old folks could give you a run for your money. Just sayin', be open to training with everybody, because you never know who can teach you something! Welcome to karate forums! :)

Our Shihan is 60 years old.

Once, at a ranking, a 22 year old said "well I feel okay but when it comes to being a fighter, it's all downhill after you're 21!"

Our Shihan stood up and said "OH REALLY? Well then, you won't have a problem with this old man, now will you?"

What happened after that, well... the young man got a lot of flying lessons, and he can probably sing a lot higher too. I don't think he'll ever make the mistake of saying something like that again, though.

Punch the bag. Just punch it. Use proper technique, but punch until you're sick of it. Punch until you can't help but relax.

Same with kicking.

Develop good technique, good form.

And spar as often as possible.

How old are these people that you say are too old for kumite? 75? 80?

Would you say Steve Arneil is too old? Cameron Quinn, maybe? Judd Reid? (lol)

Practice.

OSU

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

Osu Evergrey.

I get your point, and I understand that it was stupid of me to say that. I will ask for help in my dojo.

I said that they are too old for kumite because we barely do kumite. I'm in the adult class, and even the kids do more kumite. I am sure that they CAN, but they do not do it. And that is why I ask for help here.

I will practice with my bag as you said. Thank you for answering :)

OSU, you are welcome.

It may be that there is some other reason the adult class doesn't do much kumite. Perhaps you could politely and respectfully ask?

Perhaps phrase it as, "OSU Sensei, I would like to work towards the goal of fighting in a tournament. Is there any way I can get more time and experience in kumite, so I can work towards that goal?"

Also ask if perhaps it would be okay for you to spar with willing partners after class, if it is not done often in class. It is a bit odd that an adult Kyokushin class doesn't do kumite very often. Ours doesn't every class, but we have a number of outstanding injuries amongst our adult ranks right now, and our instructors have been dealing with crazy work schedules a lot. Still, usually there are people who will spar after formal class is over, if someone has a dojo key.

Practice,

OSU

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

OSU!!!

Some teachers prefer Kata to Kumite, watch Samurai Spirit: Karate this is hosted by Nicolas Pettas, the last Uchi Deshi of Sosai Oyama.

Kumite you don't need a partner to learn how to fight. What's wrong with 10mins fight speed shadow sparring, you will be totally knackered IF you give it 100%

The bag aim for at least 1000 hits a day (250 punches, 250 Kicks, 250 knees, 250 elbows)

Also use the bag for rounds 3 mins then 50sit-ups, r mins then 50 press-ups etc

I am sure some of the Brown and Black belts SHOULD be up for Kumite

OSU!!!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

OSU to both of you! Thank you for taking time to answer me!

My Sensei loves kata, and most of the time is spent on doing kata, training strenght and running. I will ask my Sensei as you said, because I would really like to be a good fighter and compete in a yearly tournament. Thank you for your advise.

When I started in this dojo, we had one of the best trainers in this country. He has opened many dojos in different countries, and won many big tournaments. He has really inspired me!

Sadly, he stopped training karate, and then we got the new trainer. We used to train kumite many times a week, and now we do it once a month. It is very sad. I do not know why this is so, but I will ask!

Dobbersky, should I use the bag and shadow sparring every day? And I will ask any of the brown belts to spar with me after the class if my Sensei wont let us do it IN class!

Osu :)

OSU to both of you! Thank you for taking time to answer me!

My Sensei loves kata ......

Dobbersky, should I use the bag and shadow sparring every day? And I will ask any of the brown belts to spar with me after the class if my Sensei wont let us do it IN class!

Osu :)

OSU!!

If you want to be a fighter, you need to train like a fighter!

I would also recommend going on K4L Forum too! As. I think all the knock-down stylists like me and Evergrey are there too!

As I keep saying 30% in the dojo 70% outside the dojo for you training.

Its your choice but your Sensei would be honoured if you asked him to recommend any of the Sempai's to train with regards you kumite after class.

When I was younger I used to go to loads of Thai Boxing Gyms to 'play' with for experience of fighting with other styles/fighters etc

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Our Shihan is 60 years old.

Once, at a ranking, a 22 year old said "well I feel okay but when it comes to being a fighter, it's all downhill after you're 21!"

Our Shihan stood up and said "OH REALLY? Well then, you won't have a problem with this old man, now will you?"

What happened after that, well... the young man got a lot of flying lessons, and he can probably sing a lot higher too. I don't think he'll ever make the mistake of saying something like that again, though.

Punch the bag. Just punch it. Use proper technique, but punch until you're sick of it. Punch until you can't help but relax.

Same with kicking.

Develop good technique, good form.

And spar as often as possible.

How old are these people that you say are too old for kumite? 75? 80?

Would you say Steve Arneil is too old? Cameron Quinn, maybe? Judd Reid? (lol)

Practice.

OSU

Very solid post and advice there Ev!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!