• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How many hours private lessons for kuk sool won black belt?

I was wondering private instruction is around 80-120 an hour but how fast do you progress with private lessons. There are not that many belts in kuk sool i was wondering how many hours of private lesson along with training at home for each belt and how many hour to black belt?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Follow the rule - 30% in the Dojang & 70% outside the Dojang!

If you are practising what you are taught at home, in the park etc, you won't need private lessons. If the Instructor says private lessons are compulsory I would see it as nothing more than a way for him to make money!!!

Just relax, it will take however long it takes for you to get BB! Getting Black Belt is just the beginning anyway

If all you want is a BB and a certificate then move on to a different style collecting "trophies" then you might as well buy some from EBay its cheaper and quicker

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Oh don't hate me for my answer...

It's not the hours, but it's the YEARS, however long they might be.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Solid post!!!

Totally agree, when you have a goal, put in a 1/2 way point aim for this first and then when there reassess the situation to see if BB is all you want! If it is and you don't want 2nd, 3rd etc you might as well give up as 5 years down the line you won't remember anything you learned after giving up and not practising!!!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I strongly agree with everyone's posts to date about the time factor.

If we isolate the private lesson factor, though, I do have a couple of thoughts on it. It's an animal that is still alive and well in BJJ and for good reason I think. With privates (usually around 80-100 for BB's) you get undivided attention of your coach. He's seen your game, knows how you work, and probably has some good recommendations on what to work on with you for an hour of time. Go in with a general idea (like, for some of my own examples: holding mount, de la riva, breaking guard) and let him go with it. Give him a broad canvass to work with, then let him work on the things he thinks will benefit you the most.

For me, these have always been fantastic learning experiences. If you're not routinely taking notes, certainly take them after private sessions. This lets you keep the details (and there should be plenty) right up front in your mind till you make them second nature. Maybe ask if you can video. If you can't or are uncomfortable with the request grab a friend asap and cut a video notebook of your own. Preferably very soon after the private.

Lastly, start incorporating the materiel right away into your live training. Don't wait till you get it perfect. Chances are you'll never use it. Start it immediately and perfect the technique under duress. Then it will be yours.

I agree with the time comments everyone's made, but from someone coming out of a background of getting the occasional private, I'd suggest it when you economic situation will allow. Usually, I use them if I'm having an ongoing problem that I've tracked (another great reason to keep notes) or feel like I'm in a slump.

Good luck, let us know what you decide.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

True that!

Kyo Sa Nim in KSW

Certified Personal Trainer

Health and Business Consultant

• 4 weeks later...

Its how much overall commitment as well as deciation you put into learning it that really matters.No one i dont care how good they are when they start wouldnt become a black belt overnight it takes many years of practice over and over again to accomplish it.

keeping fit keeps you healthy.Karate is excellent way to keep fit and learn self-discipline