• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Mawashi Geri Jodan

Adil

Sensei Murakami revealed that his instructor (Sensei Tsuyama) made them practice only Mae geri and Yoko geri-keage, stating that if you master those 2 techniques then your Mawashi geri would automatically improve.

How do you judge this statement?

I'm not sure of the translation of those other two techniques, but I'm guessing side kick is one of them.

I thought the round kick was considerably easier to learn than the side kick, and teaching a side kick is hampered by the knowledge of how to do a round kick by the student in the early phase; the new students will usually cheat and do a half round, half side kick as opposed to a really good, true side kick.

So, I think there is some truth to the statement. But one should still learn and practice the round kick.

Brian,

Mae geri is front kick and Yoko geri keage is side snap kick.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sensei Murakami revealed that his instructor (Sensei Tsuyama) made them practice only Mae geri and Yoko geri-keage, stating that if you master those 2 techniques then your Mawashi geri would automatically improve.

How do you judge this statement?

I'm not sure of the translation of those other two techniques, but I'm guessing side kick is one of them.

I thought the round kick was considerably easier to learn than the side kick, and teaching a side kick is hampered by the knowledge of how to do a round kick by the student in the early phase; the new students will usually cheat and do a half round, half side kick as opposed to a really good, true side kick.

So, I think there is some truth to the statement. But one should still learn and practice the round kick.

Brian,

Mae geri is front kick and Yoko geri keage is side snap kick.

:)

Cool, thanks Bob. I thought that was the case (not necessarily in that order, but that those two kicks were the ones being referred to), but I didn't want to assume.

• 3 months later...

Kicking is like anything else. Work hard one day a week or throw a few kicks daily? Daily is best. Stretching is not the only thing to help your mawashi, muscle is needed too. I know several yudansha who can do splits, yet cannot kick face high. Others are less subtle but throw great head high kicks. Here is my suggestion, kick Chadian level first, hold a chair, counter top, tree, etc. to aid you. Make sure you stretch daily, not till it hurts, but till you feel it. Then everyday throw a few kicks, and gradually kick higher. This takes time, but anyone and everyone with practice can do it. When I started karate in South Africa, I could hardly kick thigh high, then perseverance and pure determination has me at 53 throwing head high kicks. I never need to warm up, I throw kicks every single day a few in the am, and at night Everyday. I used to see many dojo mates at the once per month beach training and in dojo having to stretch for 20 minutes before throwing a kick. I wanted to always be prepared and kicking has become part of my daily life, so what you do regularly becomes second nature. It is hard work and discipline, but it pays off. Wake up, kick, at work or school kick a few kicks, keep the body loose. Be careful at first not to injure yourself. Before you know it, you will be kicking like lightning. There are no secrets to karate, only those who make this their lifestyle and others that have karate as part time. Make it your life. Train train train... For you... Kick kick kick.

SP Sarasota/Bradenton Florida USA,

Train for life. Teach with passion and love.