• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Mawashi Geri Jodan

Adil

The most important thing for me is the snap in the kick. I can hold my balance a lot better if I inject a snap after contact. This energy helps you return to your stance cleanly and with focus.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jodan Mawashigeri is a technique you can do without if you are over 30 and if you are not naturaly very flexible . It is never to late to learn this technique and execute it well at mid or lower section level , first we must learn how to execute it and then how to deliver it . The second part is much harder than the first .

Many times I have seen people who are naturaly very supple and could do jodan mawashigeris in thin air so well but some really struglle to do it in kumite against an unwilling partner .

I agree with other posters jodan mawashi is a very vunarable position to be in unless you are very comfortable with it and know when to deliver it ,

timing is very important and the position of your opponent is also very important , if he is on a forwrad mode it would be kind of suicidle to do a jodan mawashi geri ....

any thoughts on this ?

never give up !

You are always vulnerable when you have your knee higher than your hip. If you commit to a jodan kick, make sure your opponent is on the back foot or they will close the gap and take you down. Being of an age older than 30, my flexibility is not what it was, but experience should help me with timing my attack.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Realistically I would never use a jodan mawashi geri anywhere other than the dojo or a match. However let's face it: they can be a lot of fun to do well. A strong high kick has some carryover to the lower target areas as well. I am by nature a low kicker but some dedicated work on high kicks has given me an ace up my sleeve so to speak in the dojo.

I've been working on mine a lot this year and have seen some good improvement. To me hip and hamstring mobility and flexibility seem to be the key to unlocking high kicks combined with strong legs.

I'm 28, i started Shotokan last November and im still struggling to do a Jodan Mawashi Geri.

So far my flexibility has improved so I can kick at shoulder height.

I believe i'll get there soon but it requires a lot more dynamic+static streching drills.

Hello everyone,

This is my first post in this forum so here is a little bit of background. I used to practice Karate as a child for a few years and I have started practising again a couple of months ago.

I am struggling with my mawashi geri jodan. I have been stretching everyday to try to improve my flexibility but I still cannot execute the kick properly. I have no problems with mae geri jodan. I cant execute the yoko geri jodan either. This is really starting to bother me and I could not find a clear answer on the internet as to how I should train to reach my goal.

Thank you

IMHO. It's likely that your technique is incorrect. The kick doesn't require extreme flexibility. Once your body & hips roll over, your leg naturally follows. Don't focus on picking up the kicking leg. Focus on rotating your torso as fast as possible. Your leg will follow.

I would focus on perfecting a thigh level mawashi geri until your instructor tells you it looks picture-perfect. Then you gradually add height.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mawashi geri is my favorite kick in karate it is hard at 1st but youll get used to it its very easy

this is a video of a sensie doing his mawashi geri and he explained it step by step you should watch this he gives good explanation

I love Shotokan Karate Do and American Kenpo Karate

Sensei Murakami revealed that his instructor (Sensei Tsuyama) made them practice only Mae geri and Yoko geri-keage, stating that if you master those 2 techniques then your Mawashi geri would automatically improve.

How do you judge this statement?

Sensei Murakami revealed that his instructor (Sensei Tsuyama) made them practice only Mae geri and Yoko geri-keage, stating that if you master those 2 techniques then your Mawashi geri would automatically improve.

How do you judge this statement?

I'm not sure of the translation of those other two techniques, but I'm guessing side kick is one of them.

I thought the round kick was considerably easier to learn than the side kick, and teaching a side kick is hampered by the knowledge of how to do a round kick by the student in the early phase; the new students will usually cheat and do a half round, half side kick as opposed to a really good, true side kick.

So, I think there is some truth to the statement. But one should still learn and practice the round kick.