• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

whats the difference?

unknownstyle

Why is it that the old masters from Shorin ryu styles seem to always look like they can barely walk, but you see another of the same age range from Goju or Uechi ryu and the move very fluidly and still with rather good speed?

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Why is it that the old masters from Shorin ryu styles seem to always look like they can barely walk, but you see another of the same age range from Goju or Uechi ryu and the move very fluidly and still with rather good speed?

Hanshi Nakazato of the Shorinkan still moves pretty fluidly and swiftly for a person in his 90's, and Hanshi Perry is very smooth, very powerful and very fast and he is in his 70's. That said, I do believe that kata like Sanchin and Tensho, which are not part of the Shorinkan curriculum (although I can't speak for other branches of Shorin-Ryu) but are part of Goju-Ryu and Uechi-Ryu, certainly contribute to fluidity over time as they require the practitioner to utilize fluid motions while under tension. I don't really buy into the idea that different styles make people age better or worse, however, because I think that it really comes down to how you train more than what you train. Sure, things like Sanchin and Tensho may help you keep fluid movement as you age, but that doesn't necessarily mean that other kata or exercises couldn't accomplish the same thing.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Soken is one of few though. I practice a style mostly based on Matsumura Seito so I've done lots of research oh Soken Sensei

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."