• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Advanced Kyu Belt Test

On Saturday, March 24th my dojo held a belt test for all of the brown belts--four of us were testing for Nikyu and three were testing for Jun-Shodan (pre/junior/probationary black belt). We all managed to pass, but I suspect that me passing was more from determination than the form I demonstrated! I'm only 23 (the only adult brown belt at the moment) but it's really hard to keep up with those teenagers, and I did this immediately after that 3 hour open sparring event I posted about (http://www.karateforums.com/open-sparring-event-vt42707.html) where I managed to collect a few minor injuries and dehydrate myself.

The test was about 4.5 hours long and were run through all of the kihon, kata, bunkai/self defense applications, and yakusoku kumite we needed for the ranks we were testing for, and we were run through them several times in several different ways (running all 5 Pinan kata but stopping to do a pushup every three moves was interesting). During the test we also each had a short essay question assigned to us that we had to write our answer for on the big whiteboard at the front of the dojo. We also ended with sparring 5 black belts from Shodan through Godan and Sensei made sure we fought until we couldn't go on and then we had to go on anyway. I was on the verge of throwing up for more than half of the test, and nearly passed out a few times, but I made it. I'm sure my form looked pretty sad by the end of the test, though, and I couldn't sit in seiza anymore, I was limping and so tired I didn't want to move. Somehow all the kids still had the energy to play basketball for hours after the test :roll:

If anyone is curious, here are photos from the test (with the exception of the sparring): http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.362333173812089.84841.121994281179314&type=3&l=a8ecc09d64

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Congrats, don't put yourself down, I guarantee you Sensei wouldn't have given you the grade if you didn't deserve it, OSU!!!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Congrats, don't put yourself down, I guarantee you Sensei wouldn't have given you the grade if you didn't deserve it, OSU!!!

Thanks! I know my Sensei wouldn't have passed me if I didn't deserve it, but I still feel like my form suffered because I felt miserable and, according to everyone in attendance, I looked about like I felt, so I think the fact that I refused to give up, pass out or throw up may have helped :P

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

First, congratulations.

Second, you're only 23. You should have no problem keeping up with teenagers. You haven't even reached your physical prime (between 27 and 30 yrs). Barring any physical barriers you may have, start working on this sooner rather than later.

Good luck and good training.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

First, congratulations.

Second, you're only 23. You should have no problem keeping up with teenagers. You haven't even reached your physical prime (between 27 and 30 yrs). Barring any physical barriers you may have, start working on this sooner rather than later.

Good luck and good training.

So people tell me, but I feel a lot older than I am--I've dislocated my right knee twice and it aches fairly often, I throw my back out just by standing up out of bed (or sleeping, in some cases), I grew up with asthma and my lung capacity has never seemed to improve even though I'm in better shape, I'm tired all the time because it takes me several hours to fall asleep at night (if I'm lucky), and it turns out that I have to have surgery in a few weeks to repair two hernias. For being 24 years old, this month, I certainly seem to be falling apart :P. I've been in better shape for the past 6 years I've been training than I've ever been before (currently ~175lbs and 15% body fat and training regularly) but there has never been a point in my life when I could keep up with your average 13 year old. In other words, I've BEEN working on it and haven't really gained much ground :P. Thanks, though!