• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wado watered down version of shoto ?

datisstom

I'm new to MA and started wado karate a couple of weeks ago. I am starting to have my doubts about this style however.

Before joining any MA school I joined some trainings, and I did a shotokan training as well. I know wado has its origins in shotokan and jiu-jitsu, but I noticed a couple of things. First, shotokan seems much tougher than wado. Second, in shotokan the karatekas did body hardening, wich we don't do at all when practicing wado. Third, Lyoto Machida. I think Machida wouldn't stand a chance in MMA if he had been practicing wado.

It seems to me that wado is just a watered down version of the real karate, which is shotokan/kyokushin. Am I right thinking this?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I'm new to MA and started wado karate a couple of weeks ago. I am starting to have my doubts about this style however.

Before joining any MA school I joined some trainings, and I did a shotokan training as well. I know wado has its origins in shotokan and jiu-jitsu, but I noticed a couple of things. First, shotokan seems much tougher than wado. Second, in shotokan the karatekas did body hardening, wich we don't do at all when practicing wado. Third, Lyoto Machida. I think Machida wouldn't stand a chance in MMA if he had been practicing wado.

It seems to me that wado is just a watered down version of the real karate, which is shotokan/kyokushin. Am I right thinking this?

I have worked out with some Wado-Ryu practitioners in Hawaii that were plenty tough, but because of the Jujutsu aspects of their art they didn't do bunkai like we did. I don't think that it's watered down, but it is certainly different than Shotokan and Kyokushin (which, to me, aren't exactly "real karate" either since I practice an Okinawan style and those are Japanese :P). Different dojo will also train differently--I've seen Shotokan people who don't do any body conditioning, so you really can't say that because the Wado-Ryu dojo you are trying out doesn't do it that the style as a whole doesn't do it.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

"Real Karate" I love this Term!

Wado Ryu is Far from being a Watered Down version of Shotokan, It is its own art. Yes it may have had some influxes on the kata Practiced but you could also say that Shito Ryu or Shuri Ryu Etc had influences too on the Style of Karate as Otsuka Sensei didn't just study with Funakoshi Sensei.

I would actually say Due to the "jujitsu" influx of Wado I would say that it would have a better standing in MMA than Shotokan as the stances are shorter and the techniques involve also include ground work to a point.

Real Karate, well its all real Karate unless its called Kempo as Kempo is a different style on its own. Kempo predates Karate in Okinawa.

Kyokushin is a Modern Style of Karate as is Shotokan. they're less that 100 years old.

Kyokushin follows a different rule set than other schools but Okinawan Karate can be as "hard" as Kyokushin in every way.

Wado Ryu will teach you a lot more than you realise and it will take you a life time to find out what you have learnt

You need to adapt to Shu Ha Ri to finally get the point of Karate and its Kata.

I know what I'm on about as I have studied Wado Ryu and I am an Ashihara Karateka too (Ashihara is an Modern Jissen based version of Kyokushin).

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I think comparing Wado to UFC/MMA would have Otsuka Meijin turning in his grave.

UFC is the antithesis of "和"

Sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

UFC is the antithesis of "和"

Sojobo

What's the kanji mean?

To the OP, this may be a case of a bad bartender leading you to believe that Jack Daniels is watered down whiskey.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

What's the kanji mean?

It means "Wa" (as in Wado)

Peace, harmony, to mitigate, completeness, the sum of etc., etc.

There are lots of translations - but mostly it's a way, not a word.

Sojobo

Is there a rule against full contact competition? Could one not compete while maintaining a spirit of peace and harmony?

Or are you going by the fact that, sadly, many who compete do not? That would be mistaking coralation with causation.

I'm going by the Budo way as I understand it.

The dojo is the place to hone your martial skills.

Competition is a great way to "realise" those skills.

Full contact - no holds barred fighting for a purse?

Well that’s where we take a step back on the anthropological ladder imo.

Don't get me wrong - I really appreciate the ability to be able to fight - and I flatter myself to say that I can - I'd just choose not to if I could - no matter what the end goal was.

Sojobo

Given the fact that UFC is at the forefront of the public view of the martial lifestyle, I wish there were more fighters like GSP. Other than some people's taboo on fighting for a prize, he exemplifies what it means to be a fighter and a gentleman. In my opinion, that public exposure is good for all martial artists.

It is absurd to think of Wado as a watered down version of anything. It is one of the styles of karate I would consider. It has a fascinating history and those who influenced its development are gentlemen I would really love to have met and trained under. Seriously, how many styles were directly influenced by two of Itosu's direct students and the street brawling karate fighter that put karate (and Funikoshi) on the map worldwide? Then you throw in influence from Ju Jitsu and you have one of, if not the most interesting styles of karate there is IMHO.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)