• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shorin-Ryu Staff training?

scohen.mma

i'm starting to practice more with my Bo (or is it Jo?) and when i'm at home, i have a hard time remembering what we did in class. does anyone have any links to websites or videos that can help me with my Bo/Jo training in Matsubayashi Shorin-Ryu Karate? thanks in advance!

"Karate doesnt teach me to fight, it teaches me to solve my problems. Physically, mentally, and spiritually."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
i'm starting to practice more with my Bo (or is it Jo?) and when i'm at home, i have a hard time remembering what we did in class. does anyone have any links to websites or videos that can help me with my Bo/Jo training in Matsubayashi Shorin-Ryu Karate? thanks in advance!

I am not sure which form of Bo kata your doing. There are two slightly different versions of Shiromatsu No Kon that was the traditional Matsubayashi Bo kata. In the Nagamine dojo, that was the only bo kata practiced for many years. There are now Matsubayashi based schools that have adopted Yamanni Ryu Kobudo in more modern times and some that kept one of the original versions of Shiromatsu No Kon and added others. You may wish to google that name on youtube and compare it to what you are learning.

Kobudo (especially bo) is great physical training for any fighter by the way. I highly recommend becoming proficient at it.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

FYI...a bo is generally about 6' long while a jo is about 4' long.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

First hit on youtube for Shiromatsu no kun. Not the best execution, and the disarming movement (3rd or 4th movement, depending on the count) is not as I was taught in the early 90's, but close. Watch the black belt to the left, he has the best movement of them.

And ninja-ed by Montana! Bo is a 6'+ weapon.

The best thing that helped me learn the kata was to learn the "chunks" that comprise the whole thing. You need the forward/backward chunk, but some of that's repetitive. Then your left/right are really the same short set of movements. The ending is largely a replay with variation. If you can, record the kata at your dojo and take it home to work on. We did that with gargantuan video cameras be in the day.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

• 2 months later...

i just take simple notes. My sensei dont mind and it helps greatly when im learning a new kata or weapon form. Then when im practicing at home i can at least reference a move here and there if i forget if the next move was a chundan uke or soto uke.

also can add sensei specific things. if i get corrected on a particular spot or i get some real good insight on how to improve a section i can pop that in quotes next to said move. aka "more hip snap on second turn", "stop looking down on third punch stupid!"

Dammate keiko, translation: "shut up and train"