• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Transition from Shaolin to Shotokan

Karate_ni_sente_nashi

I'm actually using the Heian katas that I used in Shotokan, but he focuses more on the Pinan versons of Shodan, Nidan, Sandan, Yondan, and Godan. Then, there's Naihichi (sp) and so on. What I mean is that in the Pinan katas, there are more hook blocks and cat stances than I'm used to in the Heian versions. And instead of turning 180 degrees sharply with downward blocks, for example, he wants us to use more of a circular turn to get to the hook blocks.

So I've pretty much mastered Heians- Shodan, Nidan, Sandan, Yodan, and Godan. I've also mastered the same in Pinan. Plus there are 2 called Sen-Sa-Do Shodan and Nidan which I've learned. And I'm perfectin Tekki right now (that's where I left off in Shotokan). In Shotokan, I only learned the Heians and Tekki.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you learned the pinans one after the other? That would make a lot of sense. Pinans are beginning crane for a lot of systems, especially when you get to Sandan and beyond. Some take those further and put more emphasis on the circular motions, some don't. I learned the first two pinans and then had to wait until 2nd Kyu to learn the last. Naihanchi katas are some of my favorite, but they focus more on the stances than the circular movement the way I learned them. A lot of fun when you get to Naihanci Sandan. The first two have a choppy feel whereas the third flows very nicely.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/