• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Transition from Shaolin to Shotokan

Karate_ni_sente_nashi

Long time lurker, first time poster. ;)

I trained for three years in Shaolin Kung Fu to earn my black belt, and now I am trying a completely new style: Shotokan. My sensei gave me permission to wear my black Shaolin gi in his class, but I have chosen to start as a white belt.

Any suggestions for a smooth transition from one style to another? Any tips for a Shotokan beginner?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i came from Mixed Martial Arts and now i do Shorin-Ryu Karate - MY ULATIMATE LOVE. I love it. Shorin-Ryu is related to Shotokan, and is either a sister art or it came before Shotokan. All i know is, you see a lot of similarity in the Kata, the stances, and the a few other things.

In Kung Fu, i'm pretty sure as Bruce Lee said, a goal is to flow like water? kind of do that in Karate. be loose. dont be tense. stay relaxed, but at the same time, keep a firm stance. i'm sure some of the movement in Shaolin (this is going by Kata) is somewhat similar. Not necessarily teh stances, strikes, etc. and how they are done, but HOW you move through the Kata may be similar.

i'm only an Orange belt and i've been training for about 6 months, so thats probably the only advice that i should be giving. this is an OPINION, none of that is fact xD but what i can say, is do NOT be afraid to ask questions! When your Sensei demonstrates something, whether you think you have it or not, raise your hand and say "can we see that one more time?" just so you can benefit from it. If your having trouble with something, talk to your Sensei after class.

Shotokan is a great martial art. Karate in general is amazing. Now, i'm a huge fan of Jet Li so i'm not ignoring what Shaolin is like and how effective it may or may not be. But i really do think that the transition will be VERY beneficial for you. and the fact that you have a Shaolin background may make your experience in Shotokan even better. good luck! :)

"Karate doesnt teach me to fight, it teaches me to solve my problems. Physically, mentally, and spiritually."

Also, i apologize for posting that comment 5 times -.- my computer doesnt like me :P

"Karate doesnt teach me to fight, it teaches me to solve my problems. Physically, mentally, and spiritually."

Also, i apologize for posting that comment 5 times -.- my computer doesnt like me :P

When you click Submit to post your replies, this forum takes a very, very long time to process it and if you click it again it will post it again as many times as you click the button. I write my replies, click the Submit button and leave the tab open as I browse other things for a while.

To respond to the OP, I believe you will actually find that it is quite different. 3 years is really not that long to be training in a style, but it's long enough to build muscle memory and you're probably going to have to overcome that. I have not done Shotokan, but Shuri-Ryu has some similarities.

The stances in Shotokan tend to be long and low. I suspect your legs will probably be able to handle the stances if you've done training in horse stance, but some of them will be different and you will have to adjust.

You will also have to develop koshi (hip rotation) as well as hip thrust to generate power instead of using whipping motions (I'm just assuming your Shaolin style used whipping motions based on videos I have seen of people practicing what they call Shaolin kung fu).

Kime (the moment of focus and tension that causes your technique to instantly stop at the point where you want it to stop) might also be a difficult concept if you are used to flowing and whipping.

All that said, some Shotokan practitioners do not practice the very rigid, hard, deep-stance karate that has become typical of Shotokan and may be more fluid. Also, the longer you train in it, the more you will see how it is fluid in its own way, even when it appears rigid.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Yeah, Wastelander gave specific examples while i just went off of opinion and 6 months of experience! after reading all of that, i think he's right that you may have more of a harder time transitioning.

also, thanks for the advice on the submit button xD sometimes i think my computer is just being slow so i think i need to click it mroe than once, but i'll just click once and entertain myself withs omething from now on.

i came from Mixed Martial Arts and now i do Shorin-Ryu Karate - MY ULATIMATE LOVE. I love it. Shorin-Ryu is related to Shotokan, and is either a sister art or it came before Shotokan. All i know is, you see a lot of similarity in the Kata, the stances, and the a few other things.

In Kung Fu, i'm pretty sure as Bruce Lee said, a goal is to flow like water? kind of do that in Karate. be loose. dont be tense. stay relaxed, but at the same time, keep a firm stance. i'm sure some of the movement in Shaolin (this is going by Kata) is somewhat similar. Not necessarily teh stances, strikes, etc. and how they are done, but HOW you move through the Kata may be similar.

i'm only an Orange belt and i've been training for about 6 months, so thats probably the only advice that i should be giving. this is an OPINION, none of that is fact xD but what i can say, is do NOT be afraid to ask questions! When your Sensei demonstrates something, whether you think you have it or not, raise your hand and say "can we see that one more time?" just so you can benefit from it. If your having trouble with something, talk to your Sensei after class.

Shotokan is a great martial art. Karate in general is amazing. Now, i'm a huge fan of Jet Li so i'm not ignoring what Shaolin is like and how effective it may or may not be. But i really do think that the transition will be VERY beneficial for you. and the fact that you have a Shaolin background may make your experience in Shotokan even better. good luck! :)

Shotokan and Shorin Ryu are both base upon Shuri-te and they both share Anko-Itosu in their lineage. I do believe that most Shorin Ryu schools are slightly closer to what Itosu taught and lack mainland Japanese influence.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

to me Shaolin and Shotokan are opposite sides of the coin. Shaolin is fluid like water where as Shotokan is strong and hard.

You will find that your Shotokan will be soft and fluid or your Shaolin will become harder and more rigid.

Although most Okinawan Styles originated in China they became Regimented through the Japanese influence of the Samurai, just look at the Tea Ceremony!!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

to me Shaolin and Shotokan are opposite sides of the coin. Shaolin is fluid like water where as Shotokan is strong and hard.

You will find that your Shotokan will be soft and fluid or your Shaolin will become harder and more rigid.

Although most Okinawan Styles originated in China they became Regimented through the Japanese influence of the Samurai, just look at the Tea Ceremony!!

As far as kung fu goes though, Shaolin is probably an easier transition than most.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Long time lurker, first time poster. ;)

I trained for three years in Shaolin Kung Fu to earn my black belt, and now I am trying a completely new style: Shotokan. My sensei gave me permission to wear my black Shaolin gi in his class, but I have chosen to start as a white belt.

Any suggestions for a smooth transition from one style to another? Any tips for a Shotokan beginner?

Yes.

Pretend you know nothing when you start Shotokan.

I recalled Bruce Lee explaining why his punches were superior to Karate punches. He sounded like he knew what he was doing. And I was completely agreeing with him. Until he demonstrated several Karate punches.

He punched like an Karate practicioner after 3-6 months of training. All arms. His gifted athleticism was impressive and covered up his poor technique to the untrained eye. To be frank, his Karate punches sucked.

Anyways, the point is that one has to become a novice to learn. Glad that you volunteered to wear a white belt and started from the beginning.