• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Past The Twilight?!?

>Is 54 years of age to old to start a dojo?

>Would prospective students not want to join a new dojo because of the Chief Instructors advancing age?

The desire to restart another Kyuodan Dojo is pawing at me...and I can't shake it...and I've tried.

I've had the honor of starting three Kyuodan Dojo's in the past, and I've been blessed to teach the most amazing students throughout the years.

Kyuodan Dojo #1: California, 1978-1994, 416 active students, I moved to Texas to be close to and care for my mom who was quite sick.

Kyuodan Dojo #2: Texas, 1994-1999, 175 active students, mom passed away, and I moved to Oklahoma at the invite of my sister.

Kyuodan Dojo #3: Oklahoma, 1999-2010, 321 active students, promoted to Kaicho of the Shindokan Karate-Do Association/Shindokan Hombu.

Each Kyuodan Dojo was passed onto my most senior students. Each Kyuodan Dojo was under the protective umbrella of the Association/Hombu, and I visited those dojos quite often in both formal and personal occasions.

While our Hombu has gone through a lot of positive changes for the betterment of every student of Shindokan, and in that, my duties as Kaicho has my plate full, but, not so much that I can't devote my desires and the like to a new group of prospective Shindokan students.

What to do?

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My guess is that you are the best qualified expert to answer your question and I suppose it comes down to what it is you seek by doing or not doing. In today's day and age, 300+ is a lot of students to have in a dojo. How have you marketed?

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

My guess is that you are the best qualified expert to answer your question and I suppose it comes down to what it is you seek by doing or not doing. In today's day and age, 300+ is a lot of students to have in a dojo. How have you marketed?

90% by word of mouth, just as I had learned from my Soke and Dai-Soke. I've done demos, flyers, sign-up baskets, part of parades, volunteering in my community, yard/corner signs, newspapers, and coupon booklets to name just a few.

It took me quite some time to build up that type of student base. One of the biggest puzzles is to not charge an arm and a leg, after all, imho, it's just karate. The MA is a want, not a need, imho.

My friend, I would suggest, asking one of your senior students if they join you to open the new Dojo, the reason for this is that they will have the same Sensei throughout their training. As you know, students are loyal to their Instructor first style after, I have a few dojos but not as big a student base as you! I would use these days to move into the "Ri" part of ShuHaRi.

Look at working on Seminars etc than another Dojo! I am sure you could have many ideas of what to work on, which kata etc for genuine application! Also why not write a book too?

OSU!!!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

My friend, I would suggest, asking one of your senior students if they join you to open the new Dojo, the reason for this is that they will have the same Sensei throughout their training. As you know, students are loyal to their Instructor first style after, I have a few dojos but not as big a student base as you! I would use these days to move into the "Ri" part of ShuHaRi.

Look at working on Seminars etc than another Dojo! I am sure you could have many ideas of what to work on, which kata etc for genuine application! Also why not write a book too?

OSU!!!

Solid post!!

I've not had much success over the many years in securing seminars outside of the Shindokan circle. I've found that if whatever it is that isn't part of their whatever, they don't want to have anything to do with it. The floor can be a very intimidating and revealing thing to be scared of, and I love and welcome the floor. Plus, I'm unknown outside of the Shindokan circle.

I've been working on my memoirs, but it's slow going, I feel I've been working on it forever, even though it's only been a few years. I've been entertaining to write a series of Shindokan tech books, but, all of the who's, what's, how's, and the like just aren't falling into place. Shindokan is my thing, but writing isn't, although I'm learning to become better at it. Processes confuse me often and they become the bane of my existence.

I don't think your age is a negative thing. In fact I think it may be a bonus if you sell it right! I'd rather go with an experienced instructor who I knew had had years of practising teaching rather than someone a lot younger who was still working things out.

Maybe partner up with a dan student of yours and open up together? Then they can get experience from you but also be there to take the load off when you're busy with other things.

Seminars would always be a good thing too!

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I don't think your age is a negative thing. In fact I think it may be a bonus if you sell it right! I'd rather go with an experienced instructor who I knew had had years of practising teaching rather than someone a lot younger who was still working things out.

Maybe partner up with a dan student of yours and open up together? Then they can get experience from you but also be there to take the load off when you're busy with other things.

Seminars would always be a good thing too!

Solid post!!

I truly like your advice in the last paragraph above..thanks Danielle!!

54? Oh heck, you're just a kid and reaching your prime in the arts! Go for it bud!

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Sorry...double post :(

Edited by Montana

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Sorry...TRIPLE POST!

ARGH!!!

Darn internet connection!

Edited by Montana