• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I am a karate guy. However, I am taking BJJ and find it just a heck of a lot of fun. I suck. I know practically nothing, but want to obviously change that. With Karate, I know how to train alone. I haven't a clue how to with BJJ. What do you guys do? Do you need a grappling dummy? They are very pricey.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to your new addiction :lol: .

Training solo with BJJ can be a bit more challenging, but not impossible. So much obviously works around drilling and rolling with a partner. To simulate this, you can use a dummy. There are some pretty functional DIY plans on the internet that let you build a good enough model to work movements on. This can be helpful when you're new.

However, if you can make 3x's per week to the mat, then I wouldn't think the time of building one, or the expense of buying one, is worth it. Certainly optional.

A better, or a least more return for your time, is working mat drills on your own time. Even a small amount of space, padded in any way, can give you plenty of room to work on shrimping motions back and forward. Some hip work and other drills will quickly show up in class warm ups and are really functional movements. Think of them as the "foot work" of jits.

I also like a downed heavy bag to work posture on. This can go a long way to help you to positional dominance. It lets you start transitioning from mount to side to knee in, ect.

I'd also check out Andre Galvao's book "Drilling to Win". It's got some great solo drills to work as well as plenty of two man. It's a great compliment.

Good luck and keep us posted on how the training goes.

Thanks for that. I am currently planning on training two days a week when possible. I still have to keep up my karate and then there are the things in life like family and work. There are plenty of conditioning type drills I know through my CMMACC certification and my work on things like the TRX and heavy bags allowed me to walk on the mat for the first time in years and pretty much be in good shape to role. I will certainly follow your suggestion and ad the shrimping type drills, which to date I have only seen video of.

My biggest challenge is training to better learn technique. So I will certainly try your suggestion and use my large rubber mulch filled sand bags like a heavy bag and check out that book. I just ordered the Jiu Jitsu University book.

By the way to you BJJ die-hards, my experience with BJJ and Judo has convinced me that if I had to choose one art, it would be a stand-up striking type one. It is freaking hard work taking someone to the ground and getting them in a choke or arm bar. :lol:

Matsubayashi Ryu

I am a karate guy. However, I am taking BJJ and find it just a heck of a lot of fun. I suck. I know practically nothing, but want to obviously change that. With Karate, I know how to train alone. I haven't a clue how to with BJJ. What do you guys do? Do you need a grappling dummy? They are very pricey.

Jason Scully has the best "solo" drills you can do for BJJ:

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

By the way to you BJJ die-hards, my experience with BJJ and Judo has convinced me that if I had to choose one art, it would be a stand-up striking type one. It is freaking hard work taking someone to the ground and getting them in a choke or arm bar. :lol:

I like blunt and bladed instruments. Oh, and boomsticks.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

I like blunt and bladed instruments. Oh, and boomsticks.

Handguns are probably the most efficient way to go, but I'd take rokushaku bo over a broom stick any day. I have much more practice with it. :wink:

Matsubayashi Ryu

Jason Scully has the best "solo" drills you can do for BJJ:

Yes, I have a ton of such drills I know and can do. Really was looking purely to practice specific techniques like Omaplata, Americana, etc.

Matsubayashi Ryu