• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What type of training is this?

scohen.mma

I was watching some old Karate videos on youtube, and i saw that they had exercises that involved big heavy hammers that they balanced with one arm in the air, pots of water that they held at their side (sometimes in a horse stance) and other stuff like that. Is this the old kind of training that was done in Okinawa to toughen their students? what other exercises were there? what kind of style of Karate teaches this?

just trying to brush up on some history, thanks for reading :)

"Karate doesnt teach me to fight, it teaches me to solve my problems. Physically, mentally, and spiritually."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I was watching some old Karate videos on youtube, and i saw that they had exercises that involved big heavy hammers that they balanced with one arm in the air, pots of water that they held at their side (sometimes in a horse stance) and other stuff like that. Is this the old kind of training that was done in Okinawa to toughen their students? what other exercises were there? what kind of style of Karate teaches this?

just trying to brush up on some history, thanks for reading :)

That's hojo undo, and a lot of styles do it but chief among them is probably Goju-Ryu and Uechi-Ryu. Google that term and you'll find a lot of information on it.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I am a bit surprised you haven't experienced any of that training where you go now. While Goju Ryu is more into this than Shorin Ryu, you will certainly find chishis and other implements of hojo undo in the style. Don't dismiss the value of this sort of training.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

I am a bit surprised you haven't experienced any of that training where you go now. While Goju Ryu is more into this than Shorin Ryu, you will certainly find chishis and other implements of hojo undo in the style. Don't dismiss the value of this sort of training.

It's not like they do that stuff in every dojo of any style.

It's not like they do that stuff in every dojo of any style.

True, however, his dojo's instructor and I both come from pretty much the same lineage.

Matsubayashi Ryu

Basically it's old school isometric weight work. Hold a stance with heavy weights in your hands ect...

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

thanks for all the info guys, it was really helpful. i'll be sure to ask my Sensei's about them tomorrow after my Judo class.

"Karate doesnt teach me to fight, it teaches me to solve my problems. Physically, mentally, and spiritually."

Several years back, I did a playthrough of Final Fantasy VII in horse stance. Took a couple months. Not sure how traditional that is, but I had a great side kick back then.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Several years back, I did a playthrough of Final Fantasy VII in horse stance. Took a couple months. Not sure how traditional that is, but I had a great side kick back then.

Haha, you are awesome.

I'm doing weight training at a gym to grow stronger, myself. :} Now a new and improved routine that my Shihan put me on. He hated what Sensei had me doing, lol!

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

Basically it's old school isometric weight work. Hold a stance with heavy weights in your hands ect...

Hojo undo is far more complex training that that and involves much more than "isometric" work. Here is a short video on it which will give you some idea. However, there is far more to it than what is just in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBK5QZ-YsTs

Matsubayashi Ryu