• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Whats up with my Dojo?

scohen.mma

also, there are no advanced classes at the dojo. there are kids classes (the oldest are 12) and adult classes. i go to all of the adult classes (Bugei, Judo, Karate) and they are not what you all saw in that video. i'm curious as to how old that video is, cuz not once have we had a class like that since i've been here. No disrespect to the dojo, i'm going to try and be more patient, respectful, and learn real Karate as you all suggested.

Have you spoken to your sensei about your concerns?

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend who teaches about that far from me. I go to my main school on a regular basis, and occasionally go visit his when I have free time and the energy to do so. An occasional class with Matt Serra could go a long way as a supplement to your home school.

Patience is good and all, but ultimately, if you're not getting the type of training you want, I'd suggest trying to get to Matt's gym a couple times a week, buying a heavy bag, and supplement your training with it at home the rest of the week.

Karate is not for everyone. Neither is MMA, TKD, JKD, Aikido, or any other art. If you're not into kata, then you probably need to choose another art.

Just to give your some perspective, Masterpain and myself live in an extremely sparsely populated area in Illinois. The nearest reputable mma gym is 35-40 minutes away, the nearest traditional bjj gym is close to and hour away. We train out of a school that is based in Kempo Jujutsu. We also have set up contacts in different places so that occasionally we can visit mma classes, bjj classes, kyusho jutsu classes etc. Always keep in mind that the more people you come in to contact with, many of them will have something to teach you. I would give up alot of things to be 45 minutes away from BJJ instructor with the lineage of Matt Serra. Make sure you don't take this for granted.

I have a friend who teaches about that far from me. I go to my main school on a regular basis, and occasionally go visit his when I have free time and the energy to do so. An occasional class with Matt Serra could go a long way as a supplement to your home school.

Patience is good and all, but ultimately, if you're not getting the type of training you want, I'd suggest trying to get to Matt's gym a couple times a week, buying a heavy bag, and supplement your training with it at home the rest of the week.

Karate is not for everyone. Neither is MMA, TKD, JKD, Aikido, or any other art. If you're not into kata, then you probably need to choose another art.

I live in the same region as the OPI drive nearly a half hour to train where I do

Just to give your some perspective, Masterpain and myself live in an extremely sparsely populated area in Illinois. The nearest reputable mma gym is 35-40 minutes away, the nearest traditional bjj gym is close to and hour away. We train out of a school that is based in Kempo Jujutsu. We also have set up contacts in different places so that occasionally we can visit mma classes, bjj classes, kyusho jutsu classes etc. Always keep in mind that the more people you come in to contact with, many of them will have something to teach you. I would give up alot of things to be 45 minutes away from BJJ instructor with the lineage of Matt Serra. Make sure you don't take this for granted.

I live in the same region as the OP and I drive close to a half hour to train where I do. I visited the OP's dojo's website and noticed they seem to have dropped Koryu Uchinadi from the schedule. I wonder why.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

both partners have specific moves that we practice and practice and its just memorizing to do these drills faster and faster. if your partner doesnt grab you or push you or come at you in the way that you need them to do it so you can do your part, then the entire thing is ruined and you re-start. if you saw any of the punching bags in the back, WE DONT USE THEM. if you saw any of the kick sihelds or striking pads, WE DONT USE THEM. i train there 5 to 6 times a week and after about 5 or 6 months of training there, i've only gotten to use the kick shields a FEW times for not even a long period of time at all.

Could it be because you're still in the beginner classes? Are there senior students you have a lot of respect for for their skill? If so, then obviously the training must be doing some good. Trust in your instructor.

Great point. When I first started training in Kyokushin, I was driving almost an hour one way to attend classes. Now I'm very fortunate to have classes within 30 minutes.

Also - in our classes though Kyokushin is well known for its intense knockdown sparring, we typically have beginners train in sanbon/ippon kumite for up to the first 6 months or so with very little exposure to knockdown sparring. They will work kumite techniques and drills, hit the pads, and so on, but actual jissen kumite takes a while to earn.

Chill a bit, relax and talk to the instructor. We introduce people to things quickly in our dojo, but they will be very limited on what they're actually getting to do with the drills. Predetermined, 50% speed/resistance on the attack, no or single follow up techniques. And it builds.

At my original Matsubayashi Ryu dojo, you didn't spar for the first 3 months period. Regardless of prior experience/training. And then you started off with the instructor and senior students. Certain limb conditioning drills and joint work was held back as well. You have to build up to such things.

A side note, there's also an American Top Team gym listed for Long Island and they have a strong rep for good training. Like others, I live in the sticks. Closest BJJ, where Pitbulljudoka goes weekly, is right at an hour of hard driving if traffic is good. Most other good training at least that far away. You get benefit even from occasional visit to different dojo/gym is good for your martial growth once you have gotten good roots put down.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Ueshirokarate, i have not spoken to my Sensei about any of this. earlier when i first came here, i did tell him that i'm more interested in Mixed Martial Arts. He offered me 1 on 1 fast-paced Karate classes (30 minutes for 40 dollars) and he said its more like a kickboxing class if i'm interested. i definetly do not have enough money for that. Also, someone told me to look at the seniors and look at their skill level, and that iwll tell me if the training i'm doing will actually pay off. Yes, they are all very good at what we do in class. But the problem is they all have a backgorund in something.

one, has a blackbelt and trained for years in Shotokan Karate and Japanese Judo. he's very good. another had a background in Boxing and Wrestling, and is also a member of the SWAT team in our area. even both of the main Sensei's have a background in something else. one trained for years in Kenpo/kempo Karate, Tae Kwon Do, and Japanese Judo. another is a master in too many different martial arts that i can even remember. i know he's a master in Kenpo/Kempo, Bugei, Shorin-Ryu Karate, Escrima, Tai Chi, Aiki Jiu Jitsu, Iiado, etc. everyone who is at a high skill level has had previous training in other martial arts, or even still trains in other martial arts. i dont have the money to drive out to Matt Serra's gym more than once every 2 weeks, or sometimes only once a month. I do however, consider myself very lucky to be training where i'm trianing. i'm susupicious about their teaching methods, but i do trust both of them with my life.

"Karate doesnt teach me to fight, it teaches me to solve my problems. Physically, mentally, and spiritually."

Hmm, I was doing kumite on my second day of class, though I had been training for a few months before I got to the dojo. Other white belts usually go a month or so before participating in kumite, IF they have no previous striking experience.

You might find a knockdown style dojo to be more to your liking. I travel 45 minutes to get to my dojo, BTW.

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

Schen,

Try and look at other avenues for training.

For most dedicated Martial Artists, its 30% in the Dojo and 70% outside the Dojo, with regards to training.

Not too sure of the area you're from being from the UK, but if you are lucky enough to have a Garage, and your Dad is an Avid Martial Artist too ask him if you could convert your Garage into a Dojo.

Puting Mats on the floors, and against the walls. get a free standing bag and a Grappling Dummy in a Gi to put in the extra training.

In your Outside Dojo Training, take what your Sensei has taught you in the last class and apply it to your "Garage Dojo". I am sure you will find that your training and enjoyment of the syllabus taught at your current Ryu will increase. This is where Shu Ha Ri comes into effect!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)