• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Whats up with my Dojo?

scohen.mma

duplicate post

Edited by scohen.mma

"Karate doesnt teach me to fight, it teaches me to solve my problems. Physically, mentally, and spiritually."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kuma! i saw that video too! those are the Koryu Uchinadi drills that we SOMETIMES do. and its not even a big workout, nor do we focus on it a lot.

"Karate doesnt teach me to fight, it teaches me to solve my problems. Physically, mentally, and spiritually."

duplicate post

Edited by scohen.mma

You are studying in a very traditional system (Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu), which was originally brought to Long Island directly from Okinawa in the 1960s. The style's focus is upon very dangerous techniques that are in the katas you are training. You aren't going to change the system, so you either learn to appreciate that you are learning real karate, in the same way they learn it on Okinawa, or you need to find another school. Your style has very deep roots in Long Island NY and you will find it in many areas throughout Nassau and Suffolk. It was brought there by the founder of my system, who was an unbelievably talented martial artist who did nothing but eat, sleep and train for decades. He (Ansei Ueshiro) and his direct student (James Wax) trained Tournament superstars like Parker Shelton and Robert Yarnall, (who was ranked equally with Chuck Norris and Mike Stone (Elvis Presley's teacher)). These guys learned exactly the way you are being taught, so you either need to understand where you are, have a little patience with the way you are being taught and do your best to learn all you can, or just move on to another place. And yes, karate is kata. You may not think it is, but go to Okinawa (where karate is actually from) and you will find out that kata and karate are the same.

Edited by Ueshirokarate

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

Based on the video, I'd say there is some good instruction going on, and good skill at white belt level. Most schools won't have you doing much beyond compliant drilling for a good while. Add chaos too soon, and it all turns to slop. Never add chaos, you end up with a beautiful bunch of slop. Have you watched any of the advanced classes? You might find out that the advanced class is exactly what you are looking for. They may be on a kata-focused set of classes at the beginning to teach movement. Ask if you can sit and watch the advanced classes a few times.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

I'm not sure where you're driving from or how long it takes to get places on Long Island, but there's always Matt Serra's gym in Huntington. You can bet that they don't do a lot of kata.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

also, there are no advanced classes at the dojo. there are kids classes (the oldest are 12) and adult classes. i go to all of the adult classes (Bugei, Judo, Karate) and they are not what you all saw in that video. i'm curious as to how old that video is, cuz not once have we had a class like that since i've been here. No disrespect to the dojo, i'm going to try and be more patient, respectful, and learn real Karate as you all suggested.

I have a friend who teaches about that far from me. I go to my main school on a regular basis, and occasionally go visit his when I have free time and the energy to do so. An occasional class with Matt Serra could go a long way as a supplement to your home school.

Patience is good and all, but ultimately, if you're not getting the type of training you want, I'd suggest trying to get to Matt's gym a couple times a week, buying a heavy bag, and supplement your training with it at home the rest of the week.

Karate is not for everyone. Neither is MMA, TKD, JKD, Aikido, or any other art. If you're not into kata, then you probably need to choose another art.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Another option, one I've been been lucky enough to exercise in the last few weeks is probably exactly what you're looking for.

I train in a Muay Thai/BJJ/Wrestling/MMA gym. We have one pro fighter who has a Kyokushin background. He's managed to adapt that into his standup quite successfully. From him I get to learn different methods, techniques, and thought processes without kata, a "traditional" structured environment, etc.

Perhaps between all of the gyms in your area, you can find someone close to home to train with on your days away from the gym. With a heavy bag and a couple of mats, you could train/learn in a method that better fits your needs.

Edited by Liver Punch

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons