• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What do you think of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

I think BJJ is a great art. Submission fighter, u saw a karate expert lose to a streetfighter? McDojos really are a problem, i can't see how a trained fighter could lose to a streetfighter. Anyways, i wouldn't mind takin BJJ but there is only one dojo that offers it here and i think its a MCDojo anyway, so i'll prolly go into Sambo. Me and my friends practice groundfighting, but with no formal instruction, but i'm very confident that i'd be more than able to use the ground skills i have now effectively ont he street, i'd prolly strike tho.

"Live free.

Die well..."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jiu-Jitsu is usually the Brazilian Spelling. In Japanese JuJutsu or Jujitsu, there is less "live sparring" or "randori" because some of the techniques cannot be practiced in a controled setting. (They are too dangerous). There are more standing joint locks. BJJ, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, is sometimes called Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, or GJJ. The Gracies "developed" their style from a judo expert who taught the oldest Gracie boy Carlos (the judo dude's name was Maeda, and he was a representative of Kano). The most famous of the brothers is probably Helio, the smallest and frailest, who was defeated by Judo great Kimura in 13 minutes in a vale tudo match in Brazil. There is dispute over who was more influential in BJJ, Helio or Carlos, but it isn't disputed that the deceased brother Rolls, though not the best fighter, was the greatest teacher. Earning a black belt from Rolls was similar to climbing Mount Everest in a storm, with no oxygen - very difficult and a bragging right. Here is a site with a brief history. Many more can be found, and this site (https://www.bjj.org) also contains interviews with members of the Gracie clan and other Jiu-Jitsu teachershttp://bjj.org/rma-faq.html

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

IMHO

i think that BJJ is excellent for UFC/Pride type events where the rules are NHB. their track record speaks for itself. even on the streets, its pretty good if u have only one opponent and if u can get them to the ground. but i've yet to see anyone use BJJ against multiple opponents. jus my 2 cents..

bon- like i said, i have YET to see with my own two eyes, but i didnt say its non-existent. i jus agree that its too commercialized and people have a false misconception of BJJ/GJJ being the "greatest undefeatable MA!" people have a false misconception that UFC and PRIDE= streetfighting. the only thing that equals streetfighting is streetfighting. contests have rules and rules put limits on fighters. real streetfighters don't fight limited, though they do try to fight with compassion. but when it comes to life/death situations, preservation of self automatically kicks in. yes, it is stupid for ANYONE to go to the ground w/ multiple attackers (i hear/see way more multiple attacker situations than i do one-on-one's btw.) BJJ in that since is use well when breaking arms, legs, using as sheilds, etc.. as u said...but in response to ur question, plenty of systems are designed to be mobile enough to deal w/ multiple attackers. as a matter of fact, most systems i've seen are designed specifically to deal w/ warlords attacking villages and such and for martial warfare, so of course expecting multiple attackers is a no brainer there. DON'T misunderstand me, i have great respect for BJJ as i have repect for most every art. but i truly think its goin off a limb to say that it's the best one designed. jus my 2 cents.

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

-MASTER "General" D. Lacey

So, Bjj is not related to Japanese Ju Jutsu???

blackI-from what i understand, BJJ is a derivative of japanese jiujitsu, which there are actually MANY MANY systems of w/ no particular source. from what i know, it was designed (like most other systems) to teach villagers to deal w/ invading warlords. karate teaches mainly a lot of striking techniques which is fine and good. but when ur being attacked by people w/ swords and armor, karate doesnt hold up the best against that. there are jiujitsu schools that teach mainly sword techniques which is where the unarmed techniques derived from. when someone is heavily armored, they can withstand a lot of punishment from strikes. BUT, they still must move, which is where people learned to manipulate the joints (joint-locking). which is where jiujitsu was spawned.(i hope i havent confused my histories :) BJJ specializes mainly in groundfighting(joint-locking) techniques, although a lot of the techniques may also be applied while standing up. i have also heard that judo, aikido, and jiujitsu(the 3 main japanese grappling schools) derived from a chinese dim mak and chin na master(a master of seizing/controlling the joints and pressure point fighting.) someone please feel free to correct me. jus my 2 cents...

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

Well, Aikido, is very different from its sister Japanese arts in that it focus's more on Ki, use and generation of Ki. The techniques are more like Jujutsu, as Aikido is based on Daito Ryu Aikijutsu, which is rougthly 800 years old. However, Aikido techniques also have a large influence from the Chinese Wudang, especially Ba Gua. Aikido pretty much covers the whole of the grappling spectrum, ground and standing. Also lots of weapons training.

But I have also heard that the Gracies do train there people well and I cant fault that. There is NOTHING worse than a mcdojo!

BJJ is more of a direct descendant of Judo, why it is called Jiu-Jitsu is still in debate. Some think Maeda told Carlos he was teaching him Jujutsu because he was fighting in fights Kano wouldn't have wanted Maeda to fight in. Maybe Maeda thought he would get all the credit for this new "Jujutsu". If you watch a competition match in BJJ, it starts out like Judo, going for a throw or takedown (with the gi it closely resembles a judo match) and continues on the ground. It is pronbably its own style only because of EXTENSIVE use of the "guard" position where the opponent is behind your legs.

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

Well, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu does sound much cooler than Brazilian Judo, obviously somebody in the family must have a knack for marketing so maybe it's as simple as that. Thanks for the info!

It also might have to do with the initials....the initials of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu are much better than "Brazilian Judo!" :o :lol:

:lol: OMG! could it be that? :P