• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What do you think of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

[color=indigo]I am going to start a Kensai spin-off thread (I'm not too creative) :lol: and ask what you think of BJJ as an art, as a sport, and as a self-defense method. Thanks for the idea, Kensai, sorry to steal some of the light of your thread...it was super-informative and I hope others can help me learn more about BJJ and that I can help others get a very basic and primitive understanding of Jiu-Jitsu! Tell me what you think, guys![/color]

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's an effective art. Very good one on one and even better if you crosstrain it with a standing art. I would learn it, but I just don't like the idea of rolling around the ground with others. :(

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, for the most essential things are invisible to the eye.

I don't know much about it. I remember Shamrock and Gracie beat the @#$% out of everybody on the UFC. That was awesome. How does it differ from traditional Jiu Jitsu. Is it just a cultural difference or is it altoghter a different style?

In search of the Temple of Light

Brazilian Jiu-jitsu its a Great Art to learn, in my view, its by far the best ground fighting style. I judge by what i saw, and BJJ wins against other grappling styles. Maybe it for the fact that they have been fighting other style for long time and they already know what works and what doesn't work.

Other Wrestling styles need muscle to perform the techniques, in BJJ , they MAKE you do apply the techniques with your brain, not your muscle, that is what makes BJJ diferent from the other Styles of wrestling.

I think that the real Art of BJJ isn't just the techniques, but Perform them while you roll. Anyone can learn the techniques easily, but performing them in combat is a diferent story lol

BJJ saying is that the most effective way to beat a bigger person, is to taking it Down!!! Sounds reasonable, you don't want to trade blows with a big 250 pounds guy. lol

Its also good as a sport because allows you to train Hard without having to risk to contant injury. You can roll without having to worry about "black eyes" or bruises, etc..lol

IMHO

i think that BJJ is excellent for UFC/Pride type events where the rules are NHB. their track record speaks for itself. even on the streets, its pretty good if u have only one opponent and if u can get them to the ground. but i've yet to see anyone use BJJ against multiple opponents. jus my 2 cents..

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

-MASTER "General" D. Lacey

::edit:: Edited by Bon

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

I Personally think that All Arts were created to fight One on one.

One v the World it depend mostly on the person and not the art he's training in.

I've seeing Karate experts defeated by ONE street fighter. and i've seen One guy with NO martial Arts Knowlege taking on 2 big guys.

Besides.. what are the chances you to really be able to Defeat 3 or 4 persons who fight you with all at the same time?? lets be honest about it.

In those cases all you can do is use all your skill to open spaces to Run away. I don't think you want to stay trading Blows with 3 persons. Remember its your 2 legs and 2 arms V. 6 legs and 6 arms. That's not too realistic.

I've seen that BJJ do have standing Chokes, Armlocks, I think that's the key if you are attacked by more than one person. You don't exchange blows with them looking for a knockout, you better try to cripple Them.

just my 2 cents.

:lol: three60roundhouse, I need to learn about BJJ, so anything that will help with that is much appreicated.

BJJ, in my eyes, is a masterful and very scarey art, one of the few I would really hate to go up against. The techniques appear very sciencific and well thought out, the ground fighting is second to none. BUT I HATE the Gracies.

From the UFC I have seen, the techniques work well in sport.

Like most MA's any MA training is better than none, and against any man in the street a BJJ practioner would clean up. If it were me, I would really like a throw and run tactic. :lol:

Bon, a martial art that can take on muiltiple attackers and not only win but walk away in one piece, AIKIDO! I have just got back from my lesson, having done two man attacks, and seeing some 3 and 4 man. But I dont need to sell Aikido it sells itself.

take care

My opinion on BJJ is that it is good vs one opponent. One thing however I think that it is getting commercialized. Make sure your instuctor is qualified in your eyes. Try to stay away from the schools that you think look like they are just trying to make money.

BJJ combined with a striking standing art I actually think is a good way to go. Combining a standing art with BJJ or Sambo will make you well rounded. I would like to combine Hapkido, Sambo, Aikido, BJJ, and a couple standing arts like Shotokan and the current one I study. That is if I can find any good schools with those arts in my area. (and once I have the time. In college now.)

While you're on the subject, could you guys explain the differences between Jiu-Jitsu and BJJ (I think somebody else asked that too), and also what the relationship is between the Gracies and BJJ? It seems like the latter two are always mentioned together. Did the Gracies coin the style, so to speak, or just a flavor of it?

I often think of cross-training in a grappling art, we do work on it in my dojo but not often enough. I don't think the mats get broken out more than once every few weeks. I really enjoy it and feel like I have a little natural ability to get control of people on the ground (it helps that generally my opponents are equally unskilled at groundwork, of course) but I haven't practiced any of the various locks and holds we've learned enough to be able to use them effectively, I know I'd never be able to pull one off in a real situation at this point.