• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate-Do and Karate-Ka?

scohen.mma

What exactly is the difference? my dojo is Karate-Do based. Can someone explain to me the different meanings, and give me any specific information on both Karate-Do and Karate-Ka and the differences between them? thanks!

"Karate doesnt teach me to fight, it teaches me to solve my problems. Physically, mentally, and spiritually."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

KarateDo is the Karate way of life.

Karateka is a person who practices karate.

So, a Karateka is one who practices KarateDo.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

thanks! thats exactly what i needed to know!

"Karate doesnt teach me to fight, it teaches me to solve my problems. Physically, mentally, and spiritually."

The word "Karate" is actually a contraction of 2 Japanese words, "kara" and "te." "Kara" means "empty" and "te" means "hands." "Do" (pronounced like "dough") means "way." So, Karate-do literally means "the way of the empty hand".

Karateka means... "empty" "hands" "person"

A karate-ka is one who does more than go to class two to three times a week, practices kata, does kumite drills and gets a black belt. A karate-ka is someone who understands that they are on a lifelong journey. They follow this lifelong journey or way of life to the end and since Karate is a circle, there is no end.

The word "Karate" is actually a contraction of 2 Japanese words, "kara" and "te." "Kara" means "empty" and "te" means "hands." "Do" (pronounced like "dough") means "way." So, Karate-do literally means "the way of the empty hand".

Karateka means... "empty" "hands" "person"

Not exactly. Karate is from Okinawa. For most of its history, Okinawa was a sovereign nation (albeit dominated by China and Japan). The term "Kara Te", originally meant "China Hand" (the kanji can be spoken either way). It was changed to be more politically correct during a tumultuous time in that part of the world. Quite honestly, my perception of what true Okinawan Karate is, is a blending of many styles of Asian martial arts. Look at where Okinawa is on the map and you can see a ring of influence that expands beyond China and Okinawa. There are elements of Japanese Ju Jitsu and elements that greatly resemble modern day Muay Thai in true Okinawan karate. I can not speak for the Japanese styles that have a differing string of influence.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

A karate-ka is one who does more than go to class two to three times a week, practices kata, does kumite drills and gets a black belt. A karate-ka is someone who understands that they are on a lifelong journey. They follow this lifelong journey or way of life to the end and since Karate is a circle, there is no end.

Exactly! :up: I think the word karateka is used way too often just WRONG!

I don't know. I know guys who train very hard to fight in MMA. They may not continue to train after their competition years are over. I train for self-defense, as a hobby, and because it's become very much a part of who I am and how I define myself. Our reasons and goals are not the same, but I would never condescend on their validity as a martial artist.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma