• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

weightlifting with kickboxing

Make sure you're also doing your destabilized strength training too: body weight, TRX, Kettlebell, etc. Strong primary movers and week stabilizing muscles lead to injury.

I could not agree more. In fact, if the goal is fighting strength then the destabilised lifting is probably more beneficial than isolated weight training.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Make sure you're also doing your destabilized strength training too: body weight, TRX, Kettlebell, etc. Strong primary movers and week stabilizing muscles lead to injury.

I could not agree more. In fact, if the goal is fighting strength then the destabilised lifting is probably more beneficial than isolated weight training.

I don't really think so here. Barbell training is going to help you build the stabilizing muscles by maintaining a strong core throughout the movement of heavy weight. There really isn't much call for a bunch of accessory "stablizing" exercises if you weight train properly.

• 3 weeks later...

Weight training is essential for all martial artists that want to get better. Lifts that use your whole body as one unit are better than isolated movements. Strength carries over to all areas of your life, and don't let people tell you that you'll become slow if you bulk up.

I heard something outrageous (true I believe, nevertheless) that you can only gain around 3 pound a year through muscle. I don't think that should be slowing you down too much :D
I'm not sure this is true or not. There is so much junk and bunk floating around out there. However, in order to gain muscle and strength, you have to work on a caloric suplus, which will put on weight other than muscle. How much muscle mass one can gain in a year, I don't know.