• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

weightlifting with kickboxing

If i lift weights with kickboxing will that make my strikes harder and benifit or will it slow me down and make me lose technuiqe. I was wondering if i should do powerlifting 1 to 5 reps or strength training 6 to 8 which will let me keep good form but make me stronger and a better figher

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I agree with MasterPain, stronger is better, but I think a lot depends on your body type. I'm tall with a thin frame so I need to lift to be able to keep up with some of the bigger guys in my dojo. However, some of the bigger guys at my dojo tell me they don't lift because it really slows them down when they bulk up (I never really bulk up).

Try training with your own body weight - squats, push-ups, etc and see how that works for you.

so you think the 2-5 is probley the best choice. I like doing powerlifting its not as long as body building or strength training.

powerlifting would be better, but make sure you do the Snatch and the Clean and Jerk to get the real power lifts in there. However, i'd personally reccomend just doing Plyometric training. you get twice the explosiveness with just your bodyweight, and less vollume in your workouts but with more intensity. then you can do pullups, chin ups, and dips to get some upper body sculpting if you really want it.

"Karate doesnt teach me to fight, it teaches me to solve my problems. Physically, mentally, and spiritually."

Powerlifting is what my Shihan trains in. His arms are 23 inches around, lol! But he knows to stretch before and after, and he is lithe and fast and graceful, despite being inhumanly strong.

Most knockdown fighters I've chatted with have agreed that weight lifting is important when training for fighting. I've started doing it myself. It suuuuuucks. But it feels good too.

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

The strength from power lifting can be good when balanced with the cardio, speed, and technique training from your kickboxing. I agree that it can slow you down if you build to much bulk but I think the bigger issue is that bulk can effect stamina. The more muscle you have the more there is to move and the more of your body's cardiovascular resources they consume. It can be tough to carry all that muscle into the later rounds of a fight.

Make sure you're also doing your destabilized strength training too: body weight, TRX, Kettlebell, etc. Strong primary movers and week stabilizing muscles lead to injury.

The mission of my blog is to explore the connection between the skills learned in the dojo as a student of the martial arts and the skills that lead to a successful life. https://www.lifeskillsfromthedojo.com

https://www.facebook.com/lifeskillsfromthedojo

Hi chrisw08,

I think strength training takes long time and you need to do stamina, strength and maximum. Rep 1 - 3 is more about getting your maximum stregth level higher, but will lead to injuries if you only do that. So build a program - it can be powerlifting or something more related to your sport. (You can use similar movements than in kickboxing?)

Also remember to do fast repetitions with light weights - max speed.

(And also speed with out any weights.)

Weight training is very beneficial. Power lifting is great, and you won't "bulk up" unless you try to intentionally increase your caloric intake, i.e., gain weight on purpose.

I've read that Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 program is a great power program for those involved in other sport activities regularly. I think he has set up programs for 3 days a week or 4, depending on the time you have to give to it. Check it out and see what you think.