• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Vertical Fist

KarateCroft

In Isshinryu - we use a vertical fist when punching with the thumb on top. This allows for quicker punches and a tighter fist.

Are there any other styles of karate/does your style use a vertical fist, or perhaps some other form of specialized method for punching or kicking that is different from the norm?

Karate Croft

http://www.damagezone.webs.com

Isshinryu Karate- Sho Dan|Uechi-ryu- Hachi Kyu

"Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power.” - Lao Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people throw/teach a hook with an inverted vertical fist. I'm a big fan of this method. Also, I'm not attempting to turn this into a debate about what the best method is, but my biggest problem with a vertical fist is my bottom two knuckles. With a closed fist, holding it vertical, my bottom two knuckles are the front-most part of the fist. Because these bones are smaller, they're more likely to be broken than the larger top two.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

In Shuri-Ryu we normally used a Shuri fist (fist with the index finger laid flat on the meat of the thumb) but we also used the vertical fist as a technique to slip through someone's guard or sometimes for striking the solar plexus. After training longer and trying out different things, I use it almost exclusively for backfists and hammerfists because it keeps the thumb from putting pressure on my index finger during backfists and it keeps my thumb tucked out of the way for hammerfists.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

In Okinawan systems this is called a shiringi, whereas a horizontal punch is called a matsumura. For us, (and like liver punch, I'm not trying to start a debate on whether or not this is the correct way. Surely there are many ways in which these two variations are correct), the vertical fist wasn't for speed, both punches were trained to be just as fast but it was a difference in where we were going to hit someone. The vertical punch was for the face and the horizontal was for the body. This was because the vertical punch has a better ability to get better accuracy to the face and the horizontal had the ability to get between the ribs. Also when you throw a vertical punch to the body you run the risk of tweaking your wrist.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

We do have a tatetsuki vertical punch. It's generally regarded as a mid range punch where you have some airspace between you and your opponent but not enough to throw a full extent punch. Due to the range, the strike's angle is slightly off straight ahead and intends to "pull their sternum apart" by way of that slightly offset angle rather than "crushing" it by striking straight ahead. I have also seen people use a strike which is angled between the orthodox and vertical style with the line created by the first two knuckles being angled at about a 45 degree angle to the floor (where orthodox is 0 degrees and tatetsuki is 90 degrees) with the idea being that it's a very natural knuckle position that mitigates unnecessary tension within your arm.

With a vertical fist punch, like in Wing Chun, the elbow is angled down and it's easier to keep the shoulder down which puts the arm in a better structual position to allow the whole body to be used to generate power in the punch.

I think Shukokai jodan punches use a vertical fist.

For me, it goes back to the concept of matching my weapons to the target in the best possible manner. There's not right or wrong answer to the vertical fist, there are just better and less that adequate application. Someone mentioned using it to split the upright guard, that's an ideal application.

Sometimes up in a clinch, it lines up better. Other times at range, I am better served by a rolling motion to a horizontal fist. Often, this will line up better with the opening and range mechanically.

I've seen it in a lot of systems. For me, it's a tool to fit a given need.

Boxers throw hooks with a vertical style fist. This is to avoid hitting with the pinky first (which can result in a "boxers fracture").

In Chuan Fa we were taught both methods for use on various targets. For example, the horizontal fist would allow for slipping under the chin and punching the throat while a vertical fist fits nicely into the solar plexus. Not totally sure I buy this theory because fights are too chaotic to allow for those kinds of decisions. I honestly feel the reason for learning both was to allow the practitioner to be exposed to both and decide which he likes best.

Frankly, I've seen people successfully use both methods quite well. I feel the faster and stronger argument is nothing more than hogwash. You should punch how you feel comfortable, as long as your making contact with good alignment from knuckle to wrist to elbow. That is, the wrist should not be bent. With enough training, it's gonna be a fast and strong strike.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."