• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do you size a Korean bo staff?

I've decided to start learning jang bong forms (Korean bo staff forms). I know in Japanese martial arts, practitioners prefer a staff size equal to their approximate height, but I heard that in Korean arts, the staff is usually only five feet long irrespective to the wielder's height. Is what I heard true? I'm 5'11", so should I opt for a 6 foot staff, or is there some reason to choose a 5 foot staff instead?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 4 weeks later...
I've decided to start learning jang bong forms (Korean bo staff forms). I know in Japanese martial arts, practitioners prefer a staff size equal to their approximate height, but I heard that in Korean arts, the staff is usually only five feet long irrespective to the wielder's height. Is what I heard true? I'm 5'11", so should I opt for a 6 foot staff, or is there some reason to choose a 5 foot staff instead?

I'm 6'2" and I use a 6' for mid-range and 7' for long-range forms. It's dependent on the style as the techniques differ. I agree with the comment "ask your instructor."

Nick Zorn

4th Degree Black Belt

Owner, West of the Moon ATA

https://www.myataschool.com

I believe that traditionally the staff is six feet long, if I were you I would choose that, but I also agree that your instructor probably knows the best staff size for the style you are doing. I, personally have no Korean martial arts experience and cannot speak on the behalf.

Van

Most Korean versions of weapons aren't going to vary much from the Japanese/Chinese counterparts; they are all pretty well linked. A standard sized bo should serve you fine.

• 3 months later...

I study Hoshinkido Hapkido and learning the jang bong forms.

You use a bo (bong) usualy about your size or a bit taller.

Knowing others is intelligence, knowing yourself is true wisdom.

Mastering others is strength, mastering yourself is true power.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Most Korean versions of weapons aren't going to vary much from the Japanese/Chinese counterparts; they are all pretty well linked. A standard sized bo should serve you fine.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!