• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which Side of the Board Should face the Board Breaker?

Hello. When I am breaking a board during a test, I always wonder which side of the board should face me. Let's assume there are no knots. I was told one side is easier to break than the other.

Can anyone please tell me if it's easier to break one side than the other? If it is, then which side should face me and why?

Thanks. :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Hello. When I am breaking a board during a test, I always wonder which side of the board should face me. Let's assume there are no knots. I was told one side is easier to break than the other.

Can anyone please tell me if it's easier to break one side than the other? If it is, then which side should face me and why?

Thanks. :)

I think its similar to "Tartan Paint" or "a Long Stand" or a "Glass Hammer"

"boards don't hit back!!!!"

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Assuming we're talking about wooden boards, it does matter but unless you're stacking several boards together the difference will be minimal.

It's to do with the grain. If the grain curves (so the board is taken from slightly off-centre of the tree trunk), its marginally easier to strike from one side. Looking down the edge of the board, if you see a kind of semi-circular grain pattern, strike on the side of the flat side of the semi-circle, not on the curved side.

Probably easier to just read this as it has pictures: http://tkdtutor.com/TOPICS/Breaking/Materials/Materials-04.htm

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

If you look down the board you should see that the board is not perfectly flat, but is ever so slightly bowed in one direction--that is called the "crown" of the board. Hold it so that the board curves toward you. If you can't tell, or the board turns out to actually be flat, then what DWx explained is also a good way to determine how to hold it.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

At my school we don't break boards or anything at all. In all honesty, what purpose does it serve? I'm not downgrading it but when are you going to have to break a piece of plywood in the street? That's time you could be using to learn how to defend against a knife attack per say.

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

At my school we don't break boards or anything at all. In all honesty, what purpose does it serve? I'm not downgrading it but when are you going to have to break a piece of plywood in the street? That's time you could be using to learn how to defend against a knife attack per say.

I understand where this point of view comes from, but have you ever broken boards before? I find it to be fun and a great stress relief to hit something and have it break, so I do it for the fun of it. We really hardly ever do board breaking at my dojo--maybe once a year--and it's usually just for fun/demonstrations or if a group of students is having a particularly hard time with the idea of striking through a target.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Lots of reasons why you might want to break. Its not about breaking the wood itself but more a quantifiable test of power, focus, conditioning, accuracy, technique etc. A bit long winded but here's my thoughts on it: http://www.karateforums.com/the-art-of-breaking-and-conditioning-your-body-vt33089.html

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius