• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Paediatric Yudansha

As another school year starts and another year begins for my University TKD club, I am steeling myself for the influx of 18 year olds who have been "black belts" since they were 10. Many of tehm choose not to stay and train with us, since we value basic technique over flash. I wonder though, how does the membership of this forum feel about the issue of children as blackbelts? Should age be a criteria?

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I hate to say it but if someone is skilled enough to be a black belt they can as long as they prove themselves worthy. You know some kids are prodigies in fighting. but thats my opinion. All this bad rap probally comes from all these people just handing out belts no matter the skill of a person.

they should do away with belts all together IMHO.

I guess I am stuck in the mould of :Black Belt as serious student, not as expert.

No you should not be stuck like that im saying if someone is skilled enough to be a blackbelt no matter age should be one. This is your chance to impact there lives and make them think twice if they were awarded their black belt for a good reason. If they cant do what a blackbelt is supposed to be able to do in your style they have no reason to be a blackbelt.Im sorry i have trouble explaining things.

One thing you could do to get them over this flash thing. is show them how there flashy style is there weakness. Effeciancy in motion is the key.

But, and I am coming from a background in "traditional" Karate here, I have always felt that to wear the dark piece of cloth implies a certain seriousness of effort,and an awareness of the distance one still ahs to go in study. It does not imply that you know everything.

Granted, I have little to no trouble with 16 year old 1st or 2d dans. What bothers me is when someone 18 or under has been ranked above 3d dan.

To me, this is a sign that their instructor was more concerend with mom' spurse than the student's ability!

That is not to say that godd karateka can't come out of a McDojo. I have met several who spent their "formative years" in a McDojo and lived to tell about it, so to speak. A close friend of mine taught for a McDojo for a while, and has some interesting stories to tell.

I think a rank should reflect not only a technical progression, but also a character progression that implies maturity. It's the same for the driver's license. I met 11 years old boys that really knew how to drive a car but that didn't mean they were mature enough.

A minimum age to test for black belt should be at least 16. Better 18.

Very interesting Topic description -- spelled wrong but did catch my attention.

Come to find out it is yet another "child black belt thread" one of many, many here posted on KF.

According to this thread http://www.karateforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4238&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 ....

the "black belt" means many thngs to many pratitioners and outsiders. It is and never will be the coveted "ideal" it once was. We need to get over it and move on.

Black belt now means IMO ... a measure of tenure solely. (... and hence with that tenure of say x amount of years and classes, you would assume the black belt has some measure of skill whether they be a child (measure of skill for their age) or an over 50 *measure of skill for their age.

Yes, the "ideal" is much more "attainable" than in the past. Is it because of Mcdojos or the popularity of the martial arts in general.>>??

I would like to see jr. black belt dans given but many styles do not use this ranking. I sat on the "board of black belts" this past Saturday on test day at our school and was given the test sheet for a 9 year old going for 1st dan black? Did I pass her? Did she get her black belt?

Which criteria would you follow to give a child a "Jr.black belt"? I know in Taekwondo does exist but I don't like the idea. A 9 year old black belt... What does it happen when the kid grows up and become an adult? Another black belt test?

No, you're right. The ideal of black belt is not and never will be as it was in the past, but in the beginning there were not "dans" anyway...

What should reflect then? I think it should be a certain degree of art's understanding and that can't be reached by a boy. Although a boy can have the physical skills, of course...

What did happen about the 9 year old girl? Did you give her the black belt?

By the way, forgive the spelling (again)...

A black belt is a certificate of completion and tenure. If the student is physically & mentally capable of performing to the standards set forth by the dojo they should be permitted to advance regardless of age. Some people get it early on, some never. I think a lot of it depends on how the organization is structured.

I think that late teens is a good time as the student is still full of energy and relatively resillient. They also often don't have much else going on in their life, so they can afford to invest the time to do the training and repetition for the intensely physical starting dan stages. Wait too long and the yudansha become stagnated with those who want to rest on their laurels.

Thanks

B

You have be 18 to be a black belt in my federation. I dont really think you should get the grade until you are 18. As you are biologically and mentally mature, and also if you really want to be a black belt you wont mind waiting.

Take Care