• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kicking on concrete setup

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you can't practice your kicks in shoes on rough asphalt, your ability to kick is dubious at best. I normally practice all my kicks on bare concrete while wearing boots.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

If you can't practice your kicks in shoes on rough asphalt, your ability to kick is dubious at best. I normally practice all my kicks on bare concrete while wearing boots.
Didnt say I couldnt just want to practice my martial arts the traditional way barefooted. Whats wrong with that?

I practice kicking with slippers :P Here, everyone wears them. Can't really kick with the ball of the foot while wearing slippers though so learning to kick with the instep, heel, and shin are pretty necessary. Of course developing ways to get those off quickly when you have the opportunity help improve the versatility of your kicks is pretty helpful (I've tried practicing ways to kick the slipper off in the direction of the opponent's face in the hopes of distracting them as well as getting the slipper off). As per tradition, you could try kicking a makiwara. That's what we do, although it is an "indoor makiwara" which is supported not by the ground, but by a steel brace that tries to keep the board from moving.

That bag is so cute!

Good idea to train barefoot but I would if needed to use "Wushu" or "TaiChi" shoes for a next best.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Well, beyond the fact that i'm not so sure that barefooted is very traditional? Beyond the fact that in some places, people were usually barefooted, back in the day. Widespread use of shoes is relatively recent; they used to be an upper class thing.

For us, taking shoes off was one of the things that was used to break with tradition and make the art sanitized, 'modern', and harmless.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• 2 weeks later...

Aside from the traditional argument of...well, tradition vs. modern...There's also safety to keep in mind. If you've not done much barefoot activity - it's not a good idea to go straight to crazy kickin on concrete. If you really want to get to that point - I think you should phase it in - in order to condition yourself along the way.

HiYaa Martial Arts Podcast

https://www.hiyaapodcast.com