• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

LO from sunny Hertfordshire

hertsmas

LO all , hopefully a bit of a story not just hello will be welcomed, i know I like to learn how folk get in to their Karate :)

I am a 46 year old chap from Herts U.K. and did used to practice Shotokan karate for several years back in my twenties. Back then I reached the not so giddy heights of 2nd Kyu before quitting due to a career ( as well as chasing girls). Having briefly gone back very briefly 10 years ago which quickly fizzled out, I only recently took up Karate again due to a firm belief that it is absolutely the right thing for my young son.

I returned to Shotokan and quickly got myself back to 3rd Kyu but there was no Shotokan close by to our small village so my sone ended up in

a TKD class and me training after work in London completely in Shotokan. This was NOT at all why I went back to Karate ! . I wanted to train with my son and had dreams of supporting him through a whole Karate 'career' gradings competitions etc so i quit my Shotokan club

( though i was thoroughly enjoying training) and joined him at TKD. To cut it short if you can call this short , he was learning nothing at the TKD club basically he was just to young with no balance concentration etc , we soon tried a Kyokoshin club in the village but they did nothing no effort went in to the club at all , no gradings , comps camerardery it just seemed empty to me and my son.

About a year ago we found a smallish local club in the nearby large town and I took my son ( by now approaching 7) along. He was obviously comfortable there and the instructor though relatively new to teaching was fantastic with the children and clearly as an ex competitor himself able to do more than just 'talk Karate'. My boy quickly settled in and after a short while I became the lone parent in the class. Our new style is Wado Ryu and though my instructor constantly excuses my poor stances and lack of flow with ' Yes but its the Shotokan way its what you were taught' I keep telling him no its just me those are my faults and my traits.

I happily wore a white belt for some time and after several months was awarded a Blue Belt by the Assocuiations senior instructor as White belt really wasnt me. I was quite happy to wear any belt but clearly needed to train with folk roughly of my own ability for everyones benefit not just mine. I am now training regularly 3 times a week minimum as well as practicing at home and am loving my Karate especially as my son is starting to grow in his.

My lad is 7 in two weeks time and has already taken his first three coloured belts , he will be taking his fourth soon ( though i constantly tell him its not about the belts). I am not one of these parents who thinks his son is always great I'm a realist, however I can now see he really can do some Karate unlike 6 or 9 months ago when that was far from the case.

I should add he is training 5 days a week of his own back and if he had his way it would be 7 but i have drawn te line at 5 !

I hope someone enjoyed reading my tale anyway. Thats so far and where we are now so to speek.

Regards Mas

Wado Ryu convert & oldie

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome Mas :)

Sounds like you found a good club. Best of luck to you & your son in your training.

Ps. you lied about Hertfordshire being sunny :P

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius