• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Any one play 93 guard/ Knee Shield Half Guard

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This is one of my favorite sweeps from there. I don't get it that often as I need to rep some more to get some key details down.

The vid I posted was Vitor "Shaolin" Ribiero showing the sweep. Great instructional on it. I love the angles, and direction he shows it makes the over head sweep so much more easier. The area I need to work on more is dealing with keeping the cross grip and pants grip and baiting or forcing the person to feed me their weight. So I am working on Grip fighting more from there.

I Play knee shild guard different, were I do more 93 guard style were the Shen of the top leg is in the arm pit as opposed to the knee on the ribs sternum area.

What do you guys think of that guard and that sweep? Does any one else play this guard as part of their game?

The knee shield is an important part of a good Half guard. I use it all the time. People really over commit themselves trying to get past that knee.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I, and most people I know, will use that knee to keep space during half guard. I've also seen really good half guard moves that don't utilize it. It is however, a great tool.

As to the 93 guard, I really have no idea what the specifics of that is. Of course, I've never called the knee up in half a "knee shield" either. Names aren't my forte.

Maybe an explanation of what it is or vid?

I, and most people I know, will use that knee to keep space during half guard. I've also seen really good half guard moves that don't utilize it. It is however, a great tool.

As to the 93 guard, I really have no idea what the specifics of that is. Of course, I've never called the knee up in half a "knee shield" either. Names aren't my forte.

Maybe an explanation of what it is or vid?

I don't know where the name originated, but the "93 guard" is the knee up half guard. Same position.

Gotcha, thanks. So many times, we go thru positions and it's like "so we're going to play from here..." and the breakdown commences. Figures, I found a BJJ school that's not big on terminology either :lol:

Gotcha, thanks. So many times, we go thru positions and it's like "so we're going to play from here..." and the breakdown commences. Figures, I found a BJJ school that's not big on terminology either :lol:

Same with me. I learned alot of these names just from watching things online.

Right. We had a guy come in, like MAYBE a 4 stripe white that commenced talking about the 50/50 guard last year. My coach bantered a bit and basically told him "yeah, we don't really do that here."

I, out of curiosity, went and googled it later and went "yup, not interested." YouTube has shared a wealth of knowledge. It has also started jumping people into the deep end that they don't have the technical base to support.

But maybe that's just me being old school and cantankerous :lol:

Right. We had a guy come in, like MAYBE a 4 stripe white that commenced talking about the 50/50 guard last year. My coach bantered a bit and basically told him "yeah, we don't really do that here."

I, out of curiosity, went and googled it later and went "yup, not interested." YouTube has shared a wealth of knowledge. It has also started jumping people into the deep end that they don't have the technical base to support.

But maybe that's just me being old school and cantankerous :lol:

It's not you being old school and cantankerous. It's you wanting to do more than just win on advantages; which is what usually happens when two decent competitors get locked up in 50/50.

It's funny. At our most recent seminar with Pedro Sauer, a very skilled and competitive brown belt (pan am champ) friend asked Pedro what he would do with it. Pedro just looked and said, I would just pass you my friend. He then demonstrated how to completely shut down the 50/50.

Bottom line, it has its place, but a 4 stripe white has way bigger fish to fry than working on an advanced guard position like that.

I agree about white belts doing 50/50. Not my favorite guard position at all.

as for 93 guard. That name is taken from Robson Moura who said he first learned it in 1993. They are all knee shields just played different for different reasons. Example knee shield at a diaginal angle across the chest or on the sternum, or knee shield where the ankles are crossed and just the knee on upper area of the shin are into the partners near side hip. (Mike Fowler played that one a lot for his half guard)

93 guard is more shin in the armpit area, withe knee/leg at 90 degree angle. More played by Robson Moura and others. It has its advantages and opens up for mutiple sweep options and less likely to get smashed down against teh other knee for passing.