-there is no one of my own age,

only 10 year old kids that dont take karate seriously,and

just play around all the time

-there is no competition,sparring(kinda obvious) or realistic drillings

-the instructor is constatly bailing classes,and doesnt seem to care

at all about self defense

so yeah,i am gona go to one last class tomorown morning

and then leave the gym,it just isnt for me,i migth go looking for a better dojo

the reason i quit wasnt because katas,forms e.t.c,the reason is there is no competition,sparring e.t.c,self defense is practly non existant,and i would like to have someone of my own age to train with,i am not enjoying it at all,when i look back at my judo lessons,i remenber sparring,realistic moves e.t.c(not like you strike with your finger in this spot and he will die),i am not hating on karate,i have huge respect for it,but i would like to find a new place to train,that has people of my own age,sparring e.t.c

the karate classes are basicly over anyway,he hardly does have enough students there,because most of the parents took the kids away frown it,because they didnt seem to like the whay the instructor taugth them,so yeah that is pretty much it

cheers to everyone :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep us up to date on what resources you find. Boxing or competitive wrestling are usually pretty easy to find, build good base skills, and have a lot of live training that you crave by definition, so if the selection is sparse in your area start with that.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

there isnt wrestling in portugal,i am mostly interested on a contact karate style,or just find a good judo school since my old teacher stoped teaching,boxing woudnt be to bad too.......

btw i am still a minor

Yes, and that is one of the reasons I mentioned wrestling; most schools in the U.S. from years 6-12 have wrestling as one of their competitive sports programs; wrestling is a respectable martial arts background and one of the foundational skills highly regarded by many MMA types. I don't know what they do in Portugal in that regard.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Defiantly keep us posted on what you find. Check out anything and everything in your area to see if you can find something that lines up with your goals, even if it doesn't have the "karate" name attached to it.

Good luck.

There is no shame in your decision. Often when people decide to quit training karate it is because they aren't getting what the want out of it, but that is usually because they do not yet see the value of what they are learning as far as how it applies to what they want to learn. The things that you are wanting, however (other students your age, sparring, competition and effective self defense basics) should be evident in a dojo fairly early on and if those are the things you want and your current dojo doesn't have them, it's time to move on. I'm not sure about Kyokushin but I want to say Portugal has a decent Shotokan presence but I could very well be wrong.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

first off thanks for all of your posts,i do understand the value of karate,and i am not going to start evaluating a style,just because off one bad experience,i did that before,but no more,here in potugal there is no wrestling,but there is a strong judo presence in this country,i think karate in general,tkd,kickboxing are also quite comon in this country,but yeah who knows i migth quit for now but if that gym changes in the future who knows....,i think i am gona lay off the martial arts for a while just to dedicate myself on lifting weigths and then try to find a new place,i hope my ex judo teacher changes his mind,i learned a lot when he beat me up in sparring :wink: