• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is the best counter move when someone is throwing a pum

What is the best counter move when someone is throwing a pump roundhouse or side kick.

I have a hard time countering this move. I can circle around the opponent, but I want to be able to counter.

In search of the Temple of Light

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Not sure what you mean by 'pump'. For the counter do you mean a point fighting type counter or a street type counter?

The best counter for these kicks in general are:

A. Close the distance just before they can do the kick.

You can bait them by moving back slightly and then as they try to take up the distance you can move inside the kick's range.

B. Attack the Centerline of the opponent with a front type kick.

The Centerline in this context will be either their support leg/groin or mid-section. The Roundkick is very suseptible to this counter as the Centerline is wide-open - try it but focus on the Center. I recommend looking into the Wing Chun front kick for this.

Jim

Moy Yat Ving Tsun

Rest in peace: Moy Yat Sifu

Thanks, I will have to try this.

What I meant by Pump, is to throw 2 or more at one time. Yes this is a point fighting situation. If it were street fighting I would grab the leg, kick to the groin(like you mentioned), or do a sweep.

Point fighting is hard for me, espeacially with people faster and more flexible then myself. I guess this is because I am use to a more street oriented fight. I hate point fighting sometimes, but I must admit it is could for perfecting your techinique..

In search of the Temple of Light

Yeah, I understand the point fighting problem. Although I haven't fought in a point fight in a long time my first thought is that if they are doing that annoying leg chambered hopping thing (if that is what you meant). I would try a full power Wing Chun front kick (toes out 45 degree heel contact) right at the Center, which is going to be I would think their chambered leg / hip - boom, with good contact he will land flat on his butt with that single leg hopping posture. It may not be a point but it will get a few laughs and will make them think at least twice before trying that one again - just watch out for the groin, which is often the most natural target for those goofy point techniques.

Jim

Moy Yat Ving Tsun

Rest in peace: Moy Yat Sifu