• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karateka training with Wing Chun Grandmaster- Advice needed!

Hi guys, thanks again for all your suggestions.

Wow what a fun experience! Basically we started by discussing what my background was, and we discussed the similarities between Goju and Wing Chun. Apparently they are more similar than I originally thought!

That doesn't mean that they aren't quite different in a lot of ways though lol.

We did a lot of wooden dummy work, and I tried to get my head around striking and blocking at the exact same time, something the wooden dummy was very useful for!

I learned a lot about working from the blind side, with an emphasis on watching and maintaining control of the elbow.

We also went through a couple of 'street' situations, and some other techniques like takedown flattening.

I must admit, I really enjoyed it. Maybe after another year or so of MMA, i will move on to Wing Chun.

However for the moment, I am content to have trained with such a master of the art (plus former teacher of Bruce Lee to boot!) and would highly recommend Wing Chun to anyone looking to try a new martial art!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sounds like a great experience. You were a lucky one, for sure.

So what will you take with you and try to practice and retain the most out of the session?

I will definitely keep what I was taught about 'the blind side' and keeping control of the elbows. It seems like such a simple and effective way of keeping people constantly off guard, and something that I will practice in my sparring sessions (both mma and karate).

The idea of simultaneously blocking and attacking is great too, I just wish I could afford a wooden dummy for my back yard :D

I will definitely keep what I was taught about 'the blind side' and keeping control of the elbows. It seems like such a simple and effective way of keeping people constantly off guard, and something that I will practice in my sparring sessions (both mma and karate).

The idea of simultaneously blocking and attacking is great too, I just wish I could afford a wooden dummy for my back yard :D

You'll find similar techniques in Karate to, especially Ashihara and Enshin Karate!

Its good you found something out of your training session

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Sounds like you had a good time :) How'd you go about booking stuff like this anyways?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I was lucky enough to live near where William Cheung set up shop years ago. so it was just a matter of popping in and organising a private lesson.

Other than that, I would suggest keeping an eye out for your fav martial artists visiting to do seminars and see if you can book in for a lesson.

I was originally meant to be training with Lyoto Machida at my MMA gym but he bailed last minute, so my girlfirend organised this instead.