• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karateka training with Wing Chun Grandmaster- Advice needed!

Hi all, i was meaning to post this earlier but time got the better of me. Basically, my girlfriend got me a 1 hour training session with Grandmaster William Cheung for my birthday. Now, controversy about William aside, I wanted to get some advice on what I should practice with him for the hour.

Some info on my martial arts background. I am a first dan black belt in Goju Ryu Karate, but have spent the last 6 months training twice a week in boxing and BJJ. I have no Kung Fu experience at all, especially not Wing Chun.

For those who know a bit about Wing Chun, what do you think I should focus on during my hour session?

Thanks in advance for your advice :)

PS Quick replies are appreciated, as my session is in about 6 hours lol

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kuma has good advice.

Perhaps explain your background and ask him what he thinks might benefit you the most given your experience. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

I would imagine he'll teach you the very basics of the art. If you have no prior experience, you'll need to have a point of reference for everything he would want to teach. That's what the basics would give you.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Theory. Discuss theory, positioning, and tactics for the entire hour.

haha while that does sound thrilling, I was hoping for something a little hands on for the hour. :karate:

Thanks, will def bring up push drills

Since a lot of Goju is kakie, try to learn a few push hands drills.

I'll second this. A little chi sao goes a long way.

Then again, too much chi sao goes too far.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

I would have them take a short amount of time evaluating me- discussing my style of fighting, physique, etc, maybe a short sparring session, and then ask them to teach me something that isn't taught in my own style, just ONE thing, that they think would be very useful for me, that would work well for me specifically. Just one. And then work together with it, trying to get it down as well as possible.

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

Thanks everyone! Just about to get ready, will let you know how it goes :)

Your Boxing Training will come into play here!

Just relax (easier said than done, and be more fluid in your techniques)

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)