• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just back from the 2012 IBJJF Winter Open here in Chicago today. Great day for me and the team. For my first outing at purple, I was pretty happy with the outcome. I fought two bouts, one win and one loss that resulted in a 2nd place finish.

Here you go, the win:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxat-ub9cZ8

And then the loss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRXGn8uZVMM

While, of course, I'd have like to win the second match, I'm still happy with the outcome. I really thought I had a good thing going on the second match and was switching back and forth between a double under pass and over under. He gets me with a no-arm triangle that is actually out on my jaw. Despite not being perfect in placement, rather than drink my food thru a straw, I needed to tap.

I'll lean to be less complacent next time around about less than perfect placement. However, hats off to both guys as they were both excellent competitors.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You know, if they had grappling with guns, you wouldn't have any silver medals. You know, even if you lost... Anyhow, congrads!

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

The no arm triangle can be a tricky move. After seeing one of my blue belts get hit with one I started to slightly adjust the way I stack pass. You're right about the jaw too.

My humble advice is to work your judo a little more. You had a great collar and sleeve grip set in your first match and didn't move. With judo, once you have your grips, you must move immediately...too much hesitation.

In the second match, posture ruined you. When the opponent holds both of your sleeves like that, you need to bring the hips in. If he holds on it will begin to lift his hips and you'll easily pass. He's forced to let go or risk a pass. When he does let go of one or both, you have your posture back and can begin isolating his legs.

Nice work and congratulations on second place!

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Yeah, the take down will always be my weakest game aspect. Largely because I don't like working it all that much. The gi slows down my singles and doubles which I like the most. I should work it more; however, it's way better now than it used to be when the start of each of my matches was jumping guard.

That said, I should have taken the opportunity to jump several times after my initial efforts at the take down. He gave me plenty of good chances to do so and I should have capitalized and gone to the strongest aspect of my game.

Honestly, I really don't like doing judo. Like, at all. And can't see myself ever spending too much time getting proficient. It's a limitation I'll probably have to learn to live with and adapt around more.

I really hear what you're saying about the posture. Quite frankly, I haven't had very many people lock on to my sleeves when I'm working the double under like that. It's just not a feel I get a lot. So, when I hit it, that counter surprised me a bit. Then, as I'm moving to my over/ under, I can't do it due to the grips he has. Really threw me.

Learning experience all around. That new feel is one of the best reasons I give everyone to go and compete regardless of outcome. We all get so used to our circles of people we train with that we can inbreed without knowing it. Going out every so often to compete helps break us out of that mind set.

Yeah, the take down will always be my weakest game aspect. Largely because I don't like working it all that much. The gi slows down my singles and doubles which I like the most. I should work it more; however, it's way better now than it used to be when the start of each of my matches was jumping guard.

That said, I should have taken the opportunity to jump several times after my initial efforts at the take down. He gave me plenty of good chances to do so and I should have capitalized and gone to the strongest aspect of my game.

Honestly, I really don't like doing judo. Like, at all. And can't see myself ever spending too much time getting proficient. It's a limitation I'll probably have to learn to live with and adapt around more.

I really hear what you're saying about the posture. Quite frankly, I haven't had very many people lock on to my sleeves when I'm working the double under like that. It's just not a feel I get a lot. So, when I hit it, that counter surprised me a bit. Then, as I'm moving to my over/ under, I can't do it due to the grips he has. Really threw me.

Learning experience all around. That new feel is one of the best reasons I give everyone to go and compete regardless of outcome. We all get so used to our circles of people we train with that we can inbreed without knowing it. Going out every so often to compete helps break us out of that mind set.

I really hear you about takedowns. Always been my weakest section as well. Alot of good guys do well pulling guard.

As far as being surprised by something...I get that too. I always feel like I learn a months worth of information in just one tournament match. Win or lose, I learn so much. The beauty of being surprised is that it only ever happens once. Next time, you'll know about it and will have an answer. I was hit with a baseball bat choke while passing the guard once...once. It will never happen again. lol.

Good luck and congrats again.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I really hear you about takedowns. Always been my weakest section as well. Alot of good guys do well pulling guard.

As far as being surprised by something...I get that too. I always feel like I learn a months worth of information in just one tournament match. Win or lose, I learn so much. The beauty of being surprised is that it only ever happens once. Next time, you'll know about it and will have an answer. I was hit with a baseball bat choke while passing the guard once...once. It will never happen again. lol.

Good luck and congrats again.

That is so true, about how much you feel like you learn when competing. It's also such a true observation about getting caught one. I will be working on that exact thing next week :lol:

Thanks again.

First off congratulations on your sucess. Secondly atleast you're out there trying against someone you don't regularlly roll with. We all get caught sometimes. It's a learning process now you know a position you need to work on and that' what the tournies are really about testing your skill set.