• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tournament

monkeymorgan

Is it really a matter of 'who is in charge'? Whether it's a friend, a coach, or a sensei, sometimes we need a nudge.

:D Having been personally 'volunteered' by my sensei at a seminar (read, pushed onto the floor), I can say it's better to feel a fool for a moment than go home and realize that was one's last chance to _____ (fill in the blank).

Leaves fall.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I get that yeah I may need a nudge given that I haven't been to a tournament in about 6 years and I wouldn't mind it if my knees weren't shot. He banned me from doing stances this week. How am I supposed to win a tournament without doing any stances? And I'm in charge of myself but he still has a lot of control given that I'm 17 and he can talk my mom into making me go. Don't get me wrong I would love to compete if I thought my lower body would cooperate.

I apologize in advance if this sounds rude, but honestly, it sounds to me that you're just making excuses for yourself. Kind of like those people who say "I can't work out cause I don't have time to go to the gym". You can always push yourself to make time to work out just like you can push yourself to compete in a tournament. Either you can go the extra mile and do your best or you can take the safe way out and not attend. But to say "I don't want to compete because I don't think I'd do well" just sounds really weak to me. Regardless of how you place, as long as you do your best, what more can anyone ask?

I don't care about not winning because I realize that no matter what there will always be someone better than me even if I'm number one. I don't think I could train 24/7 until April and place. I might be able to do my best now but my best now isn't my all time best. I'm not trying to make excuses for myself, I'm just trying to figure out what I should do and needed some help from others in karate who are wiser and have more experience. I needed help because I don't want to regret my choice. I want to compete to please Sensei but I don't want to compete because I don't think I can do my best. I sounds stupid I know.

I don't care about not winning because I realize that no matter what there will always be someone better than me even if I'm number one. I don't think I could train 24/7 until April and place. I might be able to do my best now but my best now isn't my all time best. I'm not trying to make excuses for myself, I'm just trying to figure out what I should do and needed some help from others in karate who are wiser and have more experience. I needed help because I don't want to regret my choice. I want to compete to please Sensei but I don't want to compete because I don't think I can do my best. I sounds stupid I know.
Well as long as you compete and give it all you can give, there's nothing wrong with that. But to just go through the motions with an attitude of "I'm not gonna do well so I'm not gonna try" is a big no-no in my books. In my experience, it's better to not do something at all if you're only gonna give 50%. Just my 2 cents.

Wow, competing should be a personal preference but you will feel good about yourself after if you try the best you can. People make excuses because of fear and injuries but if you can walk and throw a punch or swing a weapon around you should support your dojo and do the best YOU can. Don't worry about what everyone else thinks. If you live life like that, you will get no where. If you are training in the dojo, why not do it at a tournament. You aren't sparring so it takes out the "getting hurt by someone else" factor.