• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Here is how he picked the name

American - The country he lived, was born, and served, and where the style was made.

TAO - mean the way

Karate - empty hand.

So the way of the American empty harnd.

Karate to most people is just a generic term that refers to MA. So I don't think it was a slir on Korea as much as it was just a marketing idea.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I found two "year book" type things in the dojang on thursday. I read through it, and I learned a lot about who taught, and what was taught to my master instructor. He studied Karate-do, Kung Fu (still does), TKD (still does), and Tai Chi. This might be of interest to drunken monk, too. They are in the magazine holder in the lobby if you wanna read them, drunkin monk.

Our style is called Kwok Wu Chuen Tae Kwon Do. It's mixed with WTF TKD, Shaolin kung Fu (which we start learning at red belt as well as TKD), and Chin Na. Don't ask me about the Shaolin forms, cause I donno yet LOL. I just a lowly green belt (high green soon) :P LOL. I'll prolly learn more about the Shaolin part of our style when I get to the advanced class (December). He also has a seperate Tai chi class.

Laurie F