• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Going On Our Own

Are you a proponent of your styles founders vision?

I am not!

While I was at one time, I've evolved beyond his spectrum across the board. I'm my own, and on my own, my vision is of my own making by traveling on my own path; my own journey wants and needs to be far away from the confinements of Soke Saitou's vision, and furthermore, far away from the confinements of Dai-Soke Takahashi's vision.

Is my own vision parallel with Soke and/or Dai-Soke? Possibly to some extent it is. I keep their separate visions in my rear view mirror so as I stay true to Shindokan within my own evolving vision, but not a prisoner of any vision, including my own. I must kick off the shackles that are only theirs, and allow me to walk independent.

As my students instructor, my first priority is not to my students. No. It's to my own betterment. Before I can touch my students betterment, I must understand and nourish my own betterment first. Otherwise, I've nothing to challenge them with, nothing to offer to them of value; I'm as stagnate and useful as a fishing net is for holding water.

As Soke and Dai-Soke's student, I must think for myself so as to understand what possible lies before me on my martial arts journey. If I keep a death grip on their vision, I don't allow my own vision to start, develop, stumble, mature, and penetrate through theirs, and in that, my own vision is free to question and to learn and to appreciate all that I discover on accident and/or on purpose.

I welcome your thoughts....no...I welcome your vision.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think this has been coming for a long time. You've had alot of strife in recent years. Congratulations for finally embracing it.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

OSU,

My Sensei always encourages me to learn, to understand, and to form my own opinions. I believe that as I progress on my Kyokushin journey, my ideas will evolve and change over time. Sosai clearly espoused the concept of "use what works for you," and he was, throughout his life, evolving, changing, testing, and adapting. Adapt, innovate, overcome.

Since Sosai's passing, it seems that most people believe that they (and sometimes ONLY they and their branch) practice "TRUE" Kyokushin. Some want to freeze the style, like a fly in amber. Some feel that Kyokushin died with Sosai. Many believe that they are following Sosai's vision, but every single person, I believe, adds their own colors, their own ideas, their own quirks to the style.

The trick, I think, is to recognize this. And perhaps it would be appropriate to continue to evolve and adapt. When will evolution of the style take it too far, and make it no longer be Kyokushin?

That depends, I think. Is Kyokushin a brand, and only true if money is paid to the "right" people? Is Kyokushin an exact set of moves, specific, unchangeable kata and kihon and fighting style? Specific tournament rules? Is it a certain overall feel? Is it a certain spirit? Is it how one conducts one's life, overall?

This precious interview tells me so very much. Here, Sosai speaks of what he believes is the most important thing in Kyokushin. Cameron Quinn is translating here, and he does a beautiful job conveying Sosai's words.

So, for me, I try to hold fast to the spirit. I understand that I am a beginner and my thoughts will continue to evolve and change, and my style will continue to evolve and change.

I hope to hold this seed of spirit in my heart at all times, and continue my journey with my eyes open. I know that my own lineage has it's own very specific style, and I study how it is the same as others, and how it is different. I strive to understand these things, the common and the different aspects, and come to my own conclusions.

Will the Kyokushin that I hope to eventually teach be the same as I am being taught today? No, it will have my own flavor, as each instructor has added their own flavor before me. I will try to remain true to the spirit of Kyokushin, as well as the belief in learning, testing, and adapting, to make it the strongest karate that I can.

Today's world of martial arts is not the same as it was 100 years ago, or 20 years ago. Now, MMA is very popular. The UFC is very popular. Grappling is very popular. While I will teach a striking art, I will likely add in at least throws and grabs, which Sosai originally taught a lot more of, from what I've been able to see. These days, I think that it is important to learn again, and I think that, joints and back willing, I will eventually cross train in a grappling art, such as BJJ, and will likely encourage my (if I am fortunate enough to teach) students to cross train as well, once they have a solid foundation in Kyokushin.

I feel that my instructors are good, solid martial artists and teachers. I trust them. I am also happy that I am encouraged to think for myself and draw my own conclusions.

I hope that I can make everyone proud... including myself. I hope that I will never, myself, stop learning! That, I think, is how I can best serve future students... I will always remain, at heart, a student myself!

OSU!

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

I haven't trained anywhere near as long as many people on this board--sensei8 included, of course--but the longer I train the more I find that styles are very restrictive and that everyone develops their own way of training their respective styles. I've come to terms with the fact that things will change over time based on who is teaching the art and passing it on, and I believe that I will one day pass on an art that is different in appearance from what I originally learned, but still true to the vision of the art.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Sensei8,

This is a great essay on the subject of Shu Ha Ri.

It's a bit lengthy but I think chiimes a chord here:

http://classicbudoka.wordpress.com/2012/02/17/50-shu-ha-ri-the-markers-along-the-path/

Sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

Yes, I still very much agree with the vision the founder of my first art had for the system. Combative efficiency was at the core of it, and still is. Hopefully, I continue that thought process.

I have it much easier than most because he also believed in cross training, evaluation of new tactics, and testing to see if they worked. It led to an easily evolving personal system for each individual who came thru that martial upbringing. It's made it much easier to continue to see things in the same light.

I don't necessarily agree with the my GM's visions of our TKD org, or even the instructor of the school I attend. I think this is only natural, too. We all tend to grow and learn a bit differently, and we are all affected differently because we have different experiences. I think its a pretty natural occurrence.

Wow-does this hit close to home!

In August I split off from my "Master Instructor" and became an independent

school for just these reasons. The final deciding factor for me was a short but very meaningful discussion with a friend from my past about Shu Ha Ri.

I embraced my own vision and left a stagnate system behind for the betterment of myself and eventually my students. A move that has created another path that has rekindle the passion for the journey.

Shu Ha Ri should be embraced-it is the natural progression to self-actualization and the very concept that great systems where built upon. Any "master" that denies his students this teaching is not a true master.IMO.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Shu Ha Ri

You beat me to it. My thoughts exactly. I only have a meager understanding of the concept, just enough to know that I am still in the shu phase of my life, but I immediately thought of "ha" and "ri" when I read your post. I wish you the best with your journey.

-Shizentai

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro