• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How should dojos Promote students?

I test my students daily by watching what the do and how they are progressing ibn class. I hold no formal tests, but rather when they are ready I give their their promotion.

It seems a little informal to not have a test at all and just give a student a promotion. At the same time it must be nice to work in a small dojo where you can watch the progress of all of your students over time.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I admit I run a pretty informal class. We bow in/out at the beginning and end of class or if we take a water break (2 hour classes).

That's the way my sensei and his sensei ran their class. I really don't care for the militaristic "YES SIR/NO SIR!" mentallity...but that's just me.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

How should dojos Promote students?

They shouldn't!! Promotions get in the way of learning.

:)

Good point!

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, I think Kruczek's said it very well, and his method will work for a good majority of schools, especially smaller ones.

In my Dojo, the first three rank tests are held in class, and if students know the necessary criteria, they will be promoted. The remaining tests until black belt are held on the weekends, and are scheduled when the student believes he is ready. While, like the first three tests, the student will not always pass, they more often than not do. The black belt test requires the students to attend review workshops every week, for about three months. By the end of the three months, they usually will have everything (sometimes more) they need to know for black belt down. By then, they really are (as far as knowledge of material) black belts. To "earn" the black belt, they are then invited to a test (if the instructor feels that someone is not ready, he will not invite that student unless they can get their act together before the test). There they will officially demonstrate the material and "prove" they know their stuff. Unless a student gets injured or just refuses to participate with effort (which does not often happen) they will get their belt.

In the end, though, the kid that gives more effort when they train will be more suited to defend themselves in real life, black belt or not.

-VTM

Van