• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gracie University

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've used it as an add-on to my local clubs teaching. There is a small difference in approach with Gracie and our club. Our club is more towards sports bjj and combatives is selfdefence. Also there are different requerements for blue belt. I figured it's socially more correct to follow local requerements.

One of the pitfalls in Gracie university is the number of rolling partners. One or two is not enough and partners should be with different skill levels. If you have a lot of rolling partners, I think Gracie university is a great source of information - best source is a live instructor.

I like learning from internet - even thou it has it's pitfalls.

As instructional content goes, it really well done. The techniques are broken down well and all those small details that often get overlooked are in there. So, on material and production, they are top rate.

xo has a good point, partners to work with can be problematic. And I'm no fan of on-line ranking, even for blue belt.

However, having grown up in an area that to this day does not have a BJJ school within easy driving distance, I can see where it would have it's uses. I can't say that one should pass up the opportunity to train elsewhere to do GU, but I can see how it would be useful in some areas.

Anyone here studying the gracie combatives online?? How was it and anyone promoted already?? they just completed the blue belt stripe 1 lessons..

Before you pay for the GU program, make sure there isn't an actual school you could attend. Also, be positive you have an actual training partner (preferably several) who is dependable. It really can't be trained alone.

I believe the series is excellent as a supplement to in school training. You can learn stuff with it, but it will take time.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

GU really has a great people evaluating the videos for promotion to blue belt. They will not pass anybody until they will see that someone is ready to have a blue belt. It really is legit.

one of the guys who passed online. What can you say guys??

Hope somebody interested in our area though.

GU really has a great people evaluating the videos for promotion to blue belt. They will not pass anybody until they will see that someone is ready to have a blue belt. It really is legit.

one of the guys who passed online. What can you say guys??

Hope somebody interested in our area though.

I agree that their standards are high. But their standards are very different than any other school for moving from white to blue. Not a bad thing, just how they run their school.

Basically, if you have no physical schools around you, go for it. But there is no way any video will ever compare to an actual instructor who can actually correct you on the spot and give you his experience. Nothing will ever beat the real life experience.

Again, not saying it's bad, the videos are very well done in fact. But the intention of GU was to spread jiu-jitsu to those who would otherwise have no access.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• 3 weeks later...

The hardest part of studying GU is finding partners to train with. I like their videos and find them very well done. If you have a good core of guys and some mats i say go for it. I started a Gracie garage and they make it sound like when you start one people will be beating down your door to roll. I found it to be the opposite. I'm not saying that it can't be done, I was just my experience.

I was pretty impressed with the instruction. As said earlier it was broken down very well, as well as being very detailed. Great supplement to add in on regular training at a club. Unless you can get reliable partners as stated earlier. I ended up getting the video's for free for the Gracie Combatives and most of the 1 stripe video's for blue belt from a friend who baught them for me. I am more interstead in the Bully Proof set to help supplement kids training, as well as the Empowerment stuff. I really like there methods of structure for all their programs.

I am not a fan of the online ranking system, but as far as instructionals go, they are fanstasic especially the details for the basic techniques and the methods for practicing them.