WillBe

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am interested in taking karate, but I am concerned about my age. Most of the individuals that I know, who are involved in Karate, will have been involved for over 20 years by the time they are my age.

-Robert Lewis

At 29, you'll learn faster because you'll be able to understand body mechanics better. Younger practioners tend to learn by mimic. You actually get to think as you learn.

Besides, most people today are coming back to Karate at 29 after they likely took their 20s off doing something else.

I started when I was 14, trained until I was 22. Moved away and studied a different Martial art, moved back and trained again until I was 32. I had an 8 year break until last year. I am 6th Kyu in my new style, I see the Karate from a totally different angle, I'm sharper and more dynamic now than I ever was.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Like many others on this post, I've just started Karate at 29 years old.

Is it too early for a midlife crisis? :-?

Loving all aspects of it at the moment and this is before my gradings. Currently unsure if I am going to compete at all, but the idea is interesting.

Wado

Competitions can be fun. They can also be frustrating in the sense that it's sport and there sometimes has to be a conscious effort to not do what you've been training but it's a good exercise in control.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Last night, I attended a "tune up" class for 2 of my peers that will be grading for their Shodan this weekend. Man- my body is killing me! The cool thing is that I knew everything, and I actually outperformed the 2 going up for their Shodans! I was working with the one with the most training, and he wasn't in the game mentally. I think he's putting a lot of pressure on himself. So I tried to help him out because I wasn't emotionally invested in the training. I think it helped. We went thru all Heians, Pinans, and Naihanchis. This was after all of the blocking, punching, and kicking drills, so my legs were already like rubber bands!

Anyhow, it made me confident in my abilities! I'm 38, and before I started training at the beginning of this year, I was out of MA for 22 years. So 29 is NOT too late to start. 79 is not too late. You're never too old!

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.