• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is 29 to old to start learning Karate?

WillBe

It really depends on what your goals are. If your goal is to be the grand champion kumite guy in your district, yes I would say so. When it comes to competition in physical "sports", it's just like anything else from boxing to football. You have your prime and when that's done, it's over. If you intend to be able to defend yourself and actually take someone out, it doesn't really matter how strong or fast you are. All that really matters is your willingness to learn. It doesn't matter whether you're faced with a 5'10, 90 pound woman or a 6'11" 210 pound giant. A shot to the throat will take either down in no time at all.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope it is not too old. I started at 30...lol Seriously, like everyone is saying if you want to do it then go for it. Sure it is something new and a bit wierd. Just try it, you already have an intrest in it..

I hate to nitpick, shadowspawn, but a 5'10" 90 lb. woman would be so skinny you could snap her in half. I hope you meant 5'1" and 90 lbs. Ha ha ha. Well, I suppose it is possible, I am just trying to picture it.

To the original poster... if 29 is too old I am in deep doo doo. I ain't even gonna tell you how old I am, and there are people much older than me who are training. There are people still active in MA's into their 80's and 90's, so I really wouldn't worry about it, if I were you! :)

I hate to nitpick, shadowspawn, but a 5'10" 90 lb. woman would be so skinny you could snap her in half. I hope you meant 5'1" and 90 lbs. Ha ha ha. Well, I suppose it is possible, I am just trying to picture it.

To the original poster... if 29 is too old I am in deep doo doo. I ain't even gonna tell you how old I am, and there are people much older than me who are training. There are people still active in MA's into their 80's and 90's, so I really wouldn't worry about it, if I were you! :)

Whoops you're right LOL IDK how that came out as 5'10". Must have been tired. I usually get online right before I go to bed.

Admitedly I have 'returned' to Karate not just started but I am 46 and have returned to Karate after a 20 year break from any serious training.

I have started a totally new (to me) style from scratch and am training 3 days a week minimum plus practicing at home.

So you can guess my answer is NO , for my mind if you are fit enough to take excersice you are certainly not any way near to old to take up Karate.

Best of luck

Mas

Wado Ryu convert & oldie

Admitedly I have 'returned' to Karate not just started but I am 46 and have returned to Karate after a 20 year break from any serious training.

I have started a totally new (to me) style from scratch and am training 3 days a week minimum plus practicing at home.

So you can guess my answer is NO , for my mind if you are fit enough to take excersice you are certainly not any way near to old to take up Karate.

Best of luck

Mas

We actually had someone like that come in to our dojo. He was 2nd kyu at another school when he walked in. First time in over 30 years that he was getting back into it. It really shows too. It's kind of like riding a bike. Once you learn, you never really lose it. We have 2 classes every week with the rest of the days up to the student to practice on their own. What he had most difficulty coping with was out slightly different basics and kata which, I'm sure with training, should be easy to adjust to.

• 6 months later...

I started 3 months ago. I'm 29. One of the best decisions I've ever made.

Do it! Don't waste any more time, you'll love it.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.

My wife started Karate six months ago, she never thought she was the type. She's lost weight, she has more energy and confidence and she has made new friends. She was 40 this year.

Look to the far mountain and see all.