• advertisement_alt

Principle Based BJJ Training?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Relax

Position before Submission

Create space on defense, take awy space to attack

That the sortof thing you're looking for?

Don't forget "always slap the ears." :)

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

The big, never forget, item from BJJ should be positional domenance. I agree with everything else listed, but above all, establish positional control. Not only think position before submission, go a step futher. Position IS the submission. Nothing is possible without it. Airtight position should be your priority goal.

The big, never forget, item from BJJ should be positional domenance. I agree with everything else listed, but above all, establish positional control. Not only think position before submission, go a step futher. Position IS the submission. Nothing is possible without it. Airtight position should be your priority goal.

Had free roll today and last two matches I was at the bottom all the time.

Not much to do when the partner is superior and counters all the passes.

Well in the last match I did not tap out - I could pass and escape, but always ended in side control or was mounted or had to do a turtle guard.

So a good position would be nice:-)

I think that in our club "structure" or progression in learning BJJ is based on an idea that first two years goes just learning escapes and passes and moving from position to an other.

That is fine. System is that we focus on one position for two weeks and drill escapes and a basic submission - different each night of the week. (We have 3 classes with instructors each week and two open mats for BJJ with gi. No gi and Shooto if you need more:)

I still think that pointing out some principles during instruction would be helpful or even having some training session planned from point of view of a concept - not a position. It might open new ideas.

What do you say about my interpretation of concepts for positions. What is the "fight" all about?

1. Control - I want to have a good grip and don't want be tied up.

2. Balance - good posture for me and breaking partners balance. (Triangle base)

3. Relax - Do as little as posible and breathe deep and continuesly - and make it hard for opponent to breathe if possible

4. Use levarage - attack from angles I am stronger and use my weight so that it's heaviest possible

(90 degree rule - two against one rule - legs against arms - hip against elbows... and so on)

5. Space - When holding a position, I want to be tight clued, but when escaping I need room to work. (Control hips - turn head - apply pressure vs scrimp - bridge - frame)

What about hte order?