• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

People not being suited to Martial Arts

I think alot of this comes from the movies and modern mma tv. These big tough guys have major egos and don't seem to respect their own abilities, it seems as though a lot of people are imitating that so you end up with the new breed of ma student.

I've never had a 5th Dan beating, but one of my old instructors was a 3rd Dan who loved grappling and joint locks and loved even more to practice them on me prior to class when I was a mere brown belt.

Black belt AFAF # 178

Tang Soo Do

8th Kyu

Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think alot of this comes from the movies and modern mma tv. These big tough guys have major egos and don't seem to respect their own abilities, it seems as though a lot of people are imitating that so you end up with the new breed of ma student.

I really don't think things have changed that much over the course of human history. There have always been big guys with egos, and little guys with egos, and fighting has been around forever. I think that TV and MMA exposure just makes it appear like there is more of it now.

I've never had a 5th Dan beating, but one of my old instructors was a 3rd Dan who loved grappling and joint locks and loved even more to practice them on me prior to class when I was a mere brown belt.

To be honest, these "beatings" I'm currently receiving have been exaggerated :P He'll demonstrate techniques on me sometimes, but he's got really good control. I definitely feel the hit, and it hurts, but I know he's pulling his strikes.

The worst I've gotten was from a 4th Dan who accidentally dislocated my jaw. That was... pleasant T_T

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

The most painfull of the techniques demonstrated on me are the nerve pressure points around the face and jaw. They are not pretty. I just need to know how they feel so I can apply them myself.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

• 1 month later...

To be honest, these "beatings" I'm currently receiving have been exaggerated :P He'll demonstrate techniques on me sometimes, but he's got really good control. I definitely feel the hit, and it hurts, but I know he's pulling his strikes.

The worst I've gotten was from a 4th Dan who accidentally dislocated my jaw. That was... pleasant T_T

I was working on some techniques with one of my masters on saturday. He completely disabled my radial nerve for a short period of time, leaving my right fist useless. Still hurts right at this very second. No bruise or anything. It appears nothing is wrong. Luckily I can use it now. It is what you would expect from an 8th Dan.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

"It's not about who's right, but who's left" -Ed Parker

Where do i sign up for a decent beating??!

So far the only time we have semi-contact is if my 2 step sparring partner momentarily loses control of his counterattack. I then smile on him and tell him 'play ball dude' but he is so afraid to keep it going...!

Jesus i need a heavy bag or smth...

OSU, you could probably sign up for a beating at a Kyokushin, Enshin, Ashihara, or related dojo, if your Sensei is okay with it. ;}

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

• 3 months later...

I was usually my masters uke and I know those beatings well. I especially love the judo classes where I would get thrown so hard I thought I was Gunna explode.

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class."

- Choi, Hong Hi, Founder of Taekwon-Do

“If you are tired you’re not strong, if you are tired you’re not fast, if you’re tired you don’t have good technique, and if you’re tired you’re not even smart".

-Dan Inosanto