• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does an instructor need to be (or have been) a good fighter?

What it really boils down to is what you are training for. If you are training for competitions, surely it makes sense to train with someone who knows the rules and has experience in that field. If you train for other reasons (e.g. self protection, fitness, to better yourself) then a competitive background is not necessary.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can be helpful, but is not all important. There are lots of good trainers out there that weren't necessarily great fighters. It can help, and add some credibility to your situation, but if you can't teach what you know, then the only people you will be able to help are "the naturals" out there.

It can be helpful, but is not all important. There are lots of good trainers out there that weren't necessarily great fighters. It can help, and add some credibility to your situation, but if you can't teach what you know, then the only people you will be able to help are "the naturals" out there.

My sentiments exactly. Who cares if they're not a great fighter, as long as they're teaching me right I'm all good.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

What it really boils down to is what you are training for. If you are training for competitions, surely it makes sense to train with someone who knows the rules and has experience in that field. If you train for other reasons (e.g. self protection, fitness, to better yourself) then a competitive background is not necessary.

This is how I mean with my point. Tournament experience is going to be different than self-defence experience. Tournament experience can be easy to get, and is easily defined by a win/loss record. The idea of winning in self-defence has a different connotation, and the experience can be tougher to come by. So for me it would.come down more to what kind of tactics the instructor is using, and the methods used to teach in the classes.

This is how I mean with my point. Tournament experience is going to be different than self-defence experience. Tournament experience can be easy to get, and is easily defined by a win/loss record. The idea of winning in self-defence has a different connotation, and the experience can be tougher to come by. So for me it would.come down more to what kind of tactics the instructor is using, and the methods used to teach in the classes.

Solid posts...both of them!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

This is one of those question that there is no black or white answer is there? As many have said depends what you mean by tested? Its like a catch 22? Are you saying you want to be taught by some one who has been in a life threatening situation .... no because you dont want any one to be in that situation.

I would watch how you put it though. One could argue that as you do full contact your techniques are proven not to work as after five mins in the dojo there would only be one person standing and you would not get anywhere. That is not a dig I honestly know there is more to it than that and I have the up most respect for full contact styles, we train full contact once you get to about 3rd kyu in mostly shotokan though its very rare for some one to get hit as by that time you have learned to block like a jedi .... oj . The whole point of kata is proven techniques that work. Some further evidence of its working is shown when we practice the bunkai .

Also after being jumped in an under pass in November by 3 people, the fact I successfully defended my partner and myself showed it does work (thank goodness).

It really highlighted something to me. My partner has not been doing karate that long but thanks to being really fit and previous kick boxing experience at 13 she was doing well enough that she should have kicked bum. How ever she has not been in any comps yet! The result was she shut down (literary lay on the floor and turned off) almost going into shock.

We spar often in the dojo but It does not matter how you do it, who you do it with, known or unknown, to me competitions are the only way you can train for those high pressure situations and learn to keep your nerves. Spar in the dojo all day everyday full contact no contact makes no blinking difference if you cant handle the pressure of a even a 100 people watching you.

Just spent an hour trying to post that couldn't figure out why it wouldn't let me post it .

I forget the other word for bum can be sweary to some people .... doh

Did you see that TUF fighter (UFC reality show) where Rampage Jackson was the coach?

He would teach nothing to his camp, he would bully one of the students (calling him names) and his corner advice in fights was horrible ("don't let him hit you!", "hit him!").

I'd rather never be taught by Rampage... and Rampage is a GREAT fighter... but I'd rather have a less good fighter being my teacher.

Did you see that TUF fighter (UFC reality show) where Rampage Jackson was the coach?

He would teach nothing to his camp, he would bully one of the students (calling him names) and his corner advice in fights was horrible ("don't let him hit you!", "hit him!").

I'd rather never be taught by Rampage... and Rampage is a GREAT fighter... but I'd rather have a less good fighter being my teacher.

Great fighters don't always make good teachers. Teaching and coaching is hard to do, and I think an important aspect of effective coaching/teaching is being able to.adapt and adjust how you teach.

But look at someone like Bill Wallace. Good fighter, and I've heard nothing but good things about his seminars. Some can do it, others not so well.

Great fighters don't always make good teachers. Teaching and coaching is hard to do, and I think an important aspect of effective coaching/teaching is being able to.adapt and adjust how you teach.

But look at someone like Bill Wallace. Good fighter, and I've heard nothing but good things about his seminars. Some can do it, others not so well.

Agreed :karate: