• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Empi Uchi: Elbow Strikes

sensei8

Elbows are great for a lot of reasons. As with all things, they are a great tactic, not the be all and end all of tools. They work with little room, and can come from just about any angle.

Yes they have been elbows and knees in the UFC since the beginning. In fact, in early UFC's there were no prohibitions on headbutting. Even hair pulling and fish-hooking were allowed. Groins strikes actually became legal later which lead to Keith Hackney's destruction of Jon Son's private area via upper cutting punches from the ground.

Early on in the 90's, eye gouging and biting were about all that was off the table. So grapplers have had to deal with those sorts of things throughout the competitions, and they did just fine. In a couple of the early ones, you could even see stomp kicks to the back of downed opponents head and neck area.

The major factor that has seen strikers see a resurgence is the other factor you mention, the fact that everyone is now a well rounded fighter. Strikers are able to strike because they learned to grapple. At least to some degree.

The sport is actually WAY safer now that at any time in it's history, despite the use of elbows and knees.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elbows are great for a lot of reasons. As with all things, they are a great tactic, not the be all and end all of tools. They work with little room, and can come from just about any angle.

Yes they have been elbows and knees in the UFC since the beginning. In fact, in early UFC's there were no prohibitions on headbutting. Even hair pulling and fish-hooking were allowed. Groins strikes actually became legal later which lead to Keith Hackney's destruction of Jon Son's private area via upper cutting punches from the ground.

Early on in the 90's, eye gouging and biting were about all that was off the table. So grapplers have had to deal with those sorts of things throughout the competitions, and they did just fine. In a couple of the early ones, you could even see stomp kicks to the back of downed opponents head and neck area.

The major factor that has seen strikers see a resurgence is the other factor you mention, the fact that everyone is now a well rounded fighter. Strikers are able to strike because they learned to grapple. At least to some degree.

The sport is actually WAY safer now that at any time in it's history, despite the use of elbows and knees.

I suppose that's how every sport in America ends up eventually. American football is a classic example. I don't recall the groin strikes being legal, but then again UFC wasn't as big a thing as it is now when it first emerged.

You need to watch some old Pride FC. There were fewer rules by far.
I've watched a few. Martial arts as a sport has never really been my thing, but here where I live, it's something that I'd estimate 70% of the population is into with maybe 20% participating in at least amateur bouts. From what I'd heard, Pride was superior to UFC during its time. Still IIRC, when Pride was rounded, UFC had already "reformed" to suit the politicians protesting it.

Pride was more fun to watch, but UFC is much safer for the fighters. Better match making and the rules make for less injuries.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

I've watched a few. Martial arts as a sport has never really been my thing, but here where I live, it's something that I'd estimate 70% of the population is into with maybe 20% participating in at least amateur bouts. From what I'd heard, Pride was superior to UFC during its time. Still IIRC, when Pride was rounded, UFC had already "reformed" to suit the politicians protesting it.

Watching any sport has never been my thing. I find it boring as heck for the most part. However, I do like to turn on UFC sometimes to analyze what they are doing. Does it have application in the real world? Is that technique in a kata, etc. I often ask myself, if biting was allowed, would BJJ be nearly as big as it is?

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

Watching any sport has never been my thing. I find it boring as heck for the most part. However, I do like to turn on UFC sometimes to analyze what they are doing. Does it have application in the real world? Is that technique in a kata, etc. I often ask myself, if biting was allowed, would BJJ be nearly as big as it is?

There are a lot of things in many sports that have applications in the real world. Not just MMA. Still, yes it is interesting to analyze different martial arts and find the similarities between them and other styles. Usually the things that are common throughout the arts (ie. hip rotation) are the things that really work. And I agree with pain here. If biting were allowed, highly competitive matches would probably involve a lot of it. I mean imagine if elbows to the back of the head/neck were allowed. I'm sure a ton of those ground fighters who like to go for double legs would end up paralyzed or dead. MMA is by no means a simulation for a street fight. It never has been (well maybe in exception to some forms of vale tudo but even that doesn't account for outside variables such as weapons, rugged terrain, dirt in the eyes, etc.) and never will be. Really the best non-street fight simulation for a street fight would probably be war. I mean that is where the "martial" part of "martial art" comes from.

If biting were allowed, the best grapplers would eat everyone.

Agreed.

I mean imagine if elbows to the back of the head/neck were allowed. I'm sure a ton of those ground fighters who like to go for double legs would end up paralyzed or dead.

I don't really agree here. If someone is shooting a really good double or single leg, they aren't going to expose the back of their head. They are going to shoot on their knees, not by bending over. And once they get inside, they are going to tuck their head in close and protect it. Its kind of like the arguement made that head kicks would get caught in the street or in the ring. I've yet to see it happen in a pro fight.

Once again, Pride. They had no rule against it. No 12 to 6 elbow deaths. It was a great showcase for the effectiveness of both upkicking and downkicking though. Wandelei was scary good at downkicking.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma