• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Empi Uchi: Elbow Strikes

sensei8

I agree with both of the above statements. In theory, a well constructed shot shouldn't let your opponent beat you mercilessly due to body position. See bushdo man's reasoning.

Moving from theory to practice, MP is correct. We've seen high caliber athletes throw unprotected elbows to bad areas during shots and takedown efforts without killing anyone. And rarely, if ever, finishing a fight in this manner.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with both of the above statements. In theory, a well constructed shot shouldn't let your opponent beat you mercilessly due to body position. See bushdo man's reasoning.

Moving from theory to practice, MP is correct. We've seen high caliber athletes throw unprotected elbows to bad areas during shots and takedown efforts without killing anyone. And rarely, if ever, finishing a fight in this manner.

That sounds somewhat hard to believe considering the amount of accidental deaths I've heard of where people have fallen and hit the back of their head/neck on a corner surface ie. a curb. Unless their elbow didn't have much weight behind it or it didn't really catch them in the specified area, it doesn't seem likely that no one would be seriously injured after multiple incidents of the foul. I mean the elbow is a very pointed part of the body. Combine that with a 200 pound fighter and a brain stem that doesn't take too much to damage and you'd expect someone to have some kind of spinal injury. Admittedly I don't watch much MMA competitions, but this sounds as unbelievable as someone catching a punch and hitting right behind the elbow without breaking the guy's arm.

That sounds somewhat hard to believe considering the amount of accidental deaths I've heard of where people have fallen and hit the back of their head/neck on a corner surface ie. a curb. Unless their elbow didn't have much weight behind it or it didn't really catch them in the specified area, it doesn't seem likely that no one would be seriously injured after multiple incidents of the foul. I mean the elbow is a very pointed part of the body. Combine that with a 200 pound fighter and a brain stem that doesn't take too much to damage and you'd expect someone to have some kind of spinal injury. Admittedly I don't watch much MMA competitions, but this sounds as unbelievable as someone catching a punch and hitting right behind the elbow without breaking the guy's arm.

Then show me incidents of it. That's it. We can say it doesn't make sense, but show me the incidents. In the 15-20 years of mma popularity, show me when it's happened. Of all the times when people have been taken down in a sd situation (by the aggressor or defender) show me where it's happened. I just don't see those reports circulating.

I agree with tallgeese. How many incidents have you "heard" of where someone fell and died hitting a curb? A handful, maybe, in how many years? And how many confirm that as the cause of death? And the fall is from how high up, and with the weight of the persons body dragging them down. A downward elbow strike is going to be different. I've punched my brother in the back of the head, right about that base of the skull/neck area, and I hit him really hard. He was down on all fours, as well. Didn't kill him. He got up and laughed at me.